This webinar takes stock of the role of tracking, testing and tracing apps and their effectiveness in the fight against COVID-19. The initiative is arranged by the International Telecommunications Society (ITS) in collaboration with Chalmers.
The seminar will address legal, regulatory and data protection issues related to corona tracking, tracing and testing of applications, the role of Big Data in assessing the effectiveness of measures against COVID-19, and how joining forces of telecommunications and data companies can contribute to a more effective fight against COVID-19. Other issues to be discussed are for example interoperability of apps, mandatory use vs. obligatory use, central vs. decentralized approaches, and the role of the GDPR which is both a strength and challenge for digitalizing medical services. It is intended that this webinar will compare insights and practical experiences from Asia, New Zealand, Canada and Europe and draw lessons for further development.
Opening remarks: Stephen Schmidt, ITS Chairman and Vice-President Telecom Policy & Chief Regulatory Legal Counsel at TELUS Communications.
Co-moderator: Georg Serentschy, Serentschy Advisory Services GmbH
- Masahiro Sogabe, Professor, Graduate School of Law, Kyoto University on the Japanese perspective
- Bronwyn E. Howell, Victoria University of Wellington - School of Management, on international contact tracing apps comparison.
- Stephen Schmidt, TELUS Communications, on legal and regulatory issues for apps and the Canadian perspective.
- Rosa Barcelo, Co-Chair of Squire Patton Boggs’ global Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice. Prior to joining the firm, Rosa was Deputy Head of Unit of the Cybersecurity and Digital Privacy Unit of DG CONNECT in the European Commission, where she led legislative deliberations over the proposed e-Privacy Regulation.
- Amélie Desvars-Larrive, University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna / Complexity Science Hub – CSH, Vienna. The CSH is conducting research on how effective anti corona measures are.
- Christian Fritsch, Co-Founder of INVENIUM11 and Data Analytics Business Developer, helping organizations to create value from data. Christian will address the role of big data and the cooperation with a mobile phone company Michael Zettel, Managing Director Accenture Austria12 will provide hands-on ap development experience from Austria.