Health and insurance

Image 1 of 1
Two student by a blackboard

Health care in Sweden might be a bit different to what you are used to, so we have put together some helpful information on this page. It is also important that you learn about what insurance coverage you will need, to make sure you are covered even when you are not on campus.

Health care in Sweden

Sweden has a well-developed health care system and most doctors and nurses speak English. The health care system in Sweden is tax-based, which means that the cost of a doctor’s appointment is relatively low and, more or less, the same at public health care centres throughout the country.

If you are feeling unwell, you book an appointment at a health care centre (vårdcentral) and if the doctor thinks you need a specialist you will be referred to a hospital. You should of course visit the hospital directly if you have an acute problem, like a severe accident. If you need emergency assistance you should call 112 (the number for ambulance, police and the fire brigade). For medical advice, or if you are unsure who to contact, you can always call 1177 to get help.

Dental care in Sweden is separate from the overall health care and the Public Dental Service (Folktandvården) can be found on several locations all over the country. Costs for dental care can vary depending on your problem, where you are from etc.

You will be part of the Swedish public health care system once you have a Swedish personal identity number, but it is important that you make sure to be covered by a good insurance as well.

Health care and dental care for international students

"1177" has information about emergency clinics, dental care and hospitals in the Gothenburg area. Here, you can also find other medical advice and book appointments.

(Opens in new tab)

Insurance and health care in Sweden​

"Study in Sweden" has a lot of information about insurance and health care for international students. Make sure you know what your insurenace covers before you move to Sweden and get your personal identity number as soon as you can after arriving.

(Opens in new tab)

Student health and insurance

You can contact the student health centre at Chalmers if you are experiencing study related illness. It is a complement to the public health care system for students and it provides individual counselling, physiotherapy, general and psychiatric help. Booking an appointment is free of charge and English-speaking counselors are available. They can also help you if you are unsure about who to contact regarding the problem you are experiencing. ​

All students at Chalmers are covered during college hours and while travelling directly between their place of residence and the university through Chalmers’ agreement with Kammarkollegiet concerning personal injury insurance. Kammarkollegiet is a Swedish public agency that provides different types of insurance programmes for students studying at the higher education level. The perso​nal injury insurance provides basic protection which covers personal injury in the event of an accident, as well as certain cases of illness caused by infection.

For comprehensive insurance cover, students must take out their own accident insurance to cover other times/leisure time as well as home insurance.

Wellbeing during your studies

Here, we have compiled information for you if you are a student at Chalmers and need various kinds of health-related help and support.

Insurance for students

All students are covered by a personal injury insurance policy through Chalmers’ agreement with the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet). Students may also be covered by other insurance depending on their student status. For comprehensive insurance coverage, you must have accident insurance to cover other eventualities/leisure pastimes, as well as home insurance.