It has been exactly 2 years since I received a notification that I was admitted to the programme of Design for Sustainable Development (recently changed to Architecture and Planning Beyond Sustainability). It was one of the happiest days in my life that I won't ever forget! Some of you are still waiting for the result, and I am wishing you the best of luck! I am really excited to see you here at Chalmers! And for some of you who are interested to come to Chalmers, don't hesitate to apply or at least join our facebook group to learn more about Chalmers!
So, in this blog, I want to share with you about my experience after I got the result of admission.
First of all, I tried to make a priority list! My days were pretty busy since I was working at the same time, therefore I really need to manage my time and priorities really well.
Here's my priority list in a nutshell:
- Check how to get a student apartment.
- Check how to get a residence permit and visa.
- Try to find a group or network of admitted students or international students to get more information.
- Prepare to be familiar with Chalmers' curriculum and terminology.
- Try to start learning Swedish.
- Watch some videos / read blogs about what to bring to Sweden in preparation to live abroad.
- (which means) MAKE A SHOPPING LIST!
I was really excited and happy as Chalmers really did a great job to prepare incoming students with loads of helpful information through the website, webinars, and even personal call! Universities in Sweden also have good collaboration with Swedish Embassy. One of the highlights of my life in 2016 was to attend the pre-departure meeting with the people from Study in Sweden and Embassy of Sweden in Jakarta. I even met the Ambassador of Sweden in Indonesia!
I want to share my timeline during 2016, which might be useful for you who are getting ready to go to Sweden!
- Apply for the residence permit: May 2016
- Pre-departure meeting: May 2016
- Apply for the student apartment: June 2016
- Enter the facebook group of Next Stop Chalmers: as soon as possible, I joined around May 2016
- Shopping starts: July 2016
- Departing from Jakarta: 19 August 2016
- Day 1 of welcoming week: 22 August 2016
There you go! Of course every year the dates are not exactly the same, but you get the big idea!
Hopefully you are excited to come to Chalmers as much as I did two years ago, and up until now, studying at Chalmers and living in Sweden are the best life experiences that I have!
Have a great day!