The Department of Biology and Biological Engineering conducts frontline research in the areas of bioeconomy and human health. Our research is of great interest to society and we work with a broad and long-term perspective to create impact in the form of increased knowledge, innovations and industrial collaboration.
By dissemination of knowledge to the general public, providing advise to decision makers and authorities, and collaborating with the industry, institutes, and other partners, we ensure that our research is of benefit to many different target groups.
- Our starting point is scientific, societal and industrial challenges.
- We stimulate close collaboration both within Chalmers and with external partners to facilitate knowledge exchange and to translate research findings into innovations.
- We jointly develop sustainable solutions, and contribute to the UN’s, governmental and industrial strategies to pressing global societal challenges
- We encourage links between research, industrial practice and teaching
- We take responsibility in providing new knowledge and education to the general public
Examples of our utilisation activities
The general public:
- School collaborations in the form of study visits, internships, lessons for the compulsory school and more.
- We participate in many different popular science activities, such as the Science Festival, public seminars and the writing of popular science articles.
Decision makers and authorities:
- We secure an active dialogue with national and international authorities and organisations such as the Swedish National Food Agency, the Swedish Energy Agency, EFSA and SIDA to increase opportunities to recruit them to projects and to outreach activities.
- We help national and international authorities with ad-hoc inquiries based on sudden occurrences.
- We are active during the Almedalen week and write debate articles in trade magazines and in the daily press.
Industry/ Institutes / Partners:
- We work with Industry PhD-students Adj. Professors/teachers/researchers from the industry
- Through, for example, workshops jointly with industry, the department becomes a meeting arena for key companies.
- We also participate in mentoring programs with industry, and our researchers are engaged in several centres networking activities with industry and institutes.