The future will place even tougher demands on information and communication technology, requiring complex technical systems for the handling of ever-increasing amounts of data. Chalmers University of Technology conducts research that is crucial in these areas. The goal is to contribute to a smarter, more sustainable society.
The demands of the digital age have created a need for ground-breaking, innovative solutions within the fields of environment, healthcare, economics and welfare. The Information and Communication Technology Area of Advance (ICT) is engaged in research that enables increased functionality of different systems, including intelligence and autonomy, fast and reliable communication, advanced data analysis and solutions to key questions regarding safety, security, integrity and sustainability.
ICT helps high-technological companies successfully develop their modern products in effective and sustainable ways. For years, Chalmers has been internationally recognised for its expertise in the development of high-performance and energyefficient computer systems, in addition to the development of antennas and components for communication systems.
Software is one of the main parts in virtually all products of today, but also a main means for their development. Chalmers-led Software Centre, with strategic research collaboration with many leading Swedish and international companies, successfully work technical transfer and research exchange to foster Nordic industrial development. There is also a world-class cleanroom laboratory here at Chalmers, which has played an important role in establishing a widespread collaboration with leading industry players.
Vision and Mission
To advance novel hardware and software technologies for more efficient communication and computing driving long-term societal and industrial system development.
This mission means that:
- We publish in the best journals and at the best conferences
- We win the major external grants, in particular from Swedish Research Council (VR), Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research (SSF), Swedish Agency for Innovation Systems (VINNOVA), Knut och Alice Wallenberg Foundation, and European Commission programs such as FP and ERC
- We recruit the international top talents
- We perform some of our research with world-leading companies
- We are creating new businesses by spin–offs which are growing
- We have the most attractive ICT education and PhD graduate programs seen in the number of applicants per position
- We are able to efficiently communicate our excellence in research and innovation
ICT links to the other Areas of Advance at Chalmers