The projects must focus on aspects connected to a future sustainable energy system. It should be interdisciplinary and include expertise from at least two different research groups or two different research approaches or analyse the same question from two different angles.
Example of two different approaches could be: theory + experiment, technology + behaviour, component + system, interviews + model, any method 1 + method 2.
Collaboration with external partners is positive but remember that AoA-funding only can be used by employees at Chalmers, for details see below. It is also possible to form projects as a complement to already ongoing projects to add additional aspects.
For instructions, see the template.
Special considerations will be given to projects that are connected to the following themes:
1.) Collaboration projects where scientists with projects further away from implementation collaborate with those that are close to implementation.
If advice is needed, please contact Chalmers innovation office where Anne Alsholm, firstname.lastname@example.org
, is the contact person for energy related questions.
2.) Research supporting resilient energy systems and European energy and energy technology autonomy.
- Relevance for the energy research field.
- Interdisciplinary (include expertise from at least two different research groups or two different research approaches, or analyse the same question from two different angles, see examples above).
- Scientific quality.
- Potential for successful implementation (competence, project- and time- plan etc).
- Potential for continuation in future externally funded projects is welcome but not mandatory.
- Also consider criteria as gender and the UN sustainability goals.
Costs that can be covered by AoA funding:
- Salary for senior researchers including assistant professors (max 25% of full time, exceptions need to be motivated, names should be listed).
- Postdocs – full cost coverage (list name if already known. Write “to be announced” if so).
- Salary for already employed postdocs must be motivated and the employees name should be listed.
- AoA funding cannot be used to recruit PhD students. However, PhD students already employed at Chalmers can work in the project (name should be listed).
- Relevant experiment or lab costs (max. 20% of total budget and costs should be specified).
- Travel costs.
Funds should be used during each budget-year as presented in your budget. Delays caused by legal rights of staff maybe accepted, but not delays caused by project management issues.
The project proposal,
of max. 4 A4 pages, should be sent to the Energy Area of Advance email@example.com no later than 13th May 2022. A decision will be made
by the management team Tomas Kåberger, Sonia Yeh, Cecilia Geijer, Anders Hellman and Annemarie Wöhri before summer.
Please note that costs
connected mobility, visiting researchers, support for applications, conferences, community building, seed funding or the equivalent that contribute to the strategic development of the Energy Area of Advance, can be applied for separately on an ongoing basis. Templates for this separate application can be found at Chalmers intranet.
Template interdisciplinary project proposal Energy Area of Advance
(max 4 A4 – after erasing the instructions)
The application can be written in Swedish or English and should contain clear motivations for why the suggested project should be prioritised.
Aim. Overreaching goal of the project (approx. 0.5 A4).
Project description. Background (problem description, state of the art, knowledge gap), Research question(s), Methods, Project plan including time plan and other relevant information, e.g. goals and milestones (approx. 2-3 A4).
Organisation and Budget. State affiliation (department and division) for the main project leader(s) and list names of people involved, both the researcher(s) that will take part of this funding as well as other researchers involved (if the project is larger than this funding). Main applicant should have a tenure position (permanent employment, faculty or specialist) at Chalmers or being assistant professor, but funds can be used by other Chalmers’ research staff categories. Please list a preliminary distribution of annual fund between different staff categories (approx. 0.5 A4).
Co-funding option. Please specify in your application if you are willing to share your project proposal with our industry partners ABB, Göteborg Energi and Preem for eventual co-funding. If agreed upon, a project list including titles and participants are send out to our partners, followed by sending the full proposal upon further request.
I do not want to share my proposal with Chalmers industry partners
It is ok to share my proposal with ABB
It is ok to share my proposal with Göteborg Energi
It is ok to share my proposal with Preem
CV. A maximum 2 pages CV for the main applicant(s) and if applicable also the researcher(s) that will use most of the funding.