The JEOL JSM-7800F Prime is a high resolution SEM that allows for imaging with a spatial resolution down to 0.5 nm. It is especially useful for surface sensitive analysis and analysis of beam sensitive materials as the landing energy of the electrons can be as low as 10 V. The instrument has a field emission gun and is also equipped with an EDX (energy dispersive X-ray) detector for chemical analysis, a STEM (scanning transmission electron microscopy) detector for thin foil analysis and a SXES (soft X-ray emission spectrometer) for analysis of low energy x-rays (around 50-200 eV). It is also possible to run the instrument in low vacuum mode.
- Field emission gun
- 500 V (10 V using a biased sample) to 30 kV
- Up to 500 nA beam current
- Resolution: 0.5 nm at 1 kV
- Oxford X-Max 80 mm2 detector
- SXES (Soft X-ray emission spectrometer)