Submission: 31 May, 2019
Notification: July, 2019
Expected start of the project: January 2020Background:
The Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Area of Advance (AoA) provides financial support for SEED projects, i.e. projects with innovative ideas that can be a starting point for further collaborative research and joint funding applications. We will prioritise research projects that involve researchers from different research communities (for example across ICT departments or between ICT and other Areas of Advances) who have not worked together before (i.e., have no joint projects or publications). Young researchers are particularly encouraged to apply.
AoA ICT has identified four research profiles: Connected World (communication, sensing, interactive systems), Automated Society (intelligent systems, autonomous systems), Big Data (data analytics, data visualisation), and Digital Sustainability (energy-aware systems, security and privacy, safety). This call encourages proposals that are related to these profiles or combinations of them. Details of the call:
• The project should include at least two researchers from different divisions at Chalmers, who should have complementary expertise.
• The project should contribute to sustainable development.
• Consider gender balance in your project team.
• The budget should be between 100 kSEK and 300 kSEK, including indirect costs (OH). The budget can cover personnel costs. It can also be used to, e.g., hire master students or host guest researchers, and similar. The budget cannot cover costs for equipment or travel costs to conferences or similar events. The total budget of the call is 1 MSEK, which will allow for 3-5 projects.
• The project must start in early 2020 and should last 3-6 months. The proposal form:
The application should be maximum 3 pages long, font Times–roman, size 11. In addition, max 1 page can be used for references. A one-page CV of the main applicants should be included (max 4 CVs). Proposals that do not comply with this format will be desk rejected (no review process).The proposal should include:
a) the project title and the project abbreviation
b) name, e-mail, and affiliation (department, division) of the project applicants
c) the research challenges addressed and the objective of the project; interdisciplinary aspects should be highlighted; also the applicant should discuss how the project contributes to sustainable development, preferably in relation to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
d) the project description
e) the expected outcome (including dissemination plan) and the plan for further research and funding acquisition
f) the project participants and the planned efforts
g) the project budget and time-lineProtection of intellectual property:
Parts c), d) and e) of proposals that are not funded will be protected; these parts are therefore not accessible to the public.Evaluation Criteria:
• Innovative research idea
• Possibility of further research and joint funding applications
• Budget and project feasibility
• Dissemination plan
• Relevance for AoA ICT and Chalmers research strategySubmission:
The application should be submitted as one PDF document to: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=seed2020
The proposals will be evaluated by the AoA ICT management group together with the AoA ICT profile leaders.
Questions can be addressed to Ivica Crnkovic email@example.com
or Giuseppe Durisi firstname.lastname@example.org
General information on the research within the Area of Advance ICT can be found www.chalmers.se/ict