The aim of this seminar is give participants an opportunity to hear about some of the research that is being carried out in different projects and departments at Chalmers in the area of Big Data for Smart Society. The desired outcome of the seminar is greater awareness of what's going on in this area at Chalmers, and possibly identify new opportunities for collaboration.
The seminar's date coincides with a visit to Chalmers by Bulgarian participants in the GATE project  and some of the GATE project's Advisory Board members.
From 12:00 to 13:00 Graham Kemp will introduce the seminar, Sylvia Ilieva will introduce the GATE project, and there will be a series of presentations (about 5 minutes each) from Chalmers researchers. Participants who are interested are invited to stay on for further discussions from 13:00 to 14:00.Speakers:
- Graham Kemp (Area of Advance ICT profile area Big Data, Computer Science and Engineering)
- Sylvia Ilieva (Sofia University)
- Marina Papatriantafilou (Computer Science and Engineering)
- Magnus Almgren (Computer Science and Engineering)
- Vincenzo Gulisano (Computer Science and Engineering)
- Anders Logg (Mathematical Sciences)
- Monica Billger (Architecture and Civil Engineering)
- Liane Thuvander (Architecture and Civil Engineering)
- Jesper Knuttson (Architecture and Civil Engineering)
- Devdatt Dubhashi (Computer Science and Engineering)
 Chalmers is participating in the project "GATE - Big Data for Smart Society", which is funded by the Horizon 2020 WIDESPREAD-2016-2017 TEAMING Phase 1 programme. This project aims to establish a Big Data Centre of Excellence in Sofia as a partnership between Sofia University and Chalmers. The project partners are Sofia University (coordinating), Chalmers Industrial Technology, and Chalmers University of Technology. The main task in this 12-month "Phase 1" project (from September 2017 to August 2018) is to build a case for support for a "Phase 2" project. If the "Phase 2" application is successful there will be opportunities and funding to build partnerships in research with education with groups in Sofia from 2019. http://www.gate-coe.eu/