Guidance and support

Image 1 of 1
Students in group talking.

To optimise your period of study, Chalmers offers broad support with opportunities for individual consultations. The student guidance counsellor can help you with everything from planning and choice of courses and programmes, to how you can cope with your study situation. Student Centre can provide general information, and you can contact the Director of Studies if you have questions about specific subjects.

Student guidance

Central Student and Career Guidance

If you are thinking about starting to study and would like support and advice in your choice of programme or education, if you have general questions about studies or if you need help to plan your education, you are welcome to contact the Central Student and Career Guidance service. You can also contact this service for individual consultations if you are already studying at the university but are unsure whether you are on the right path.

To book an appointment with a student guidance counsellor, contact the Central Study and Career Guidance service.

Study and career guidance

Student guidance in programmes

There is a student guidance counsellor for every educational programme, which task is to support, guide and motivate students through their studies. You can contact your programme’s student guidance counsellor about various issues, such as if you need help planning your studies, are wondering how to choose, feel unmotivated, are considering dropping out of your studies or would like to suspend them for a while.

You can also contact the student guidance counsellor if your mental wellbeing is low, if you feel you have not connected with your fellow students or if you have other issues regarding your studies that affect you and your study situation. A conversation with a counsellor always aims to support you to make independent decisions about yourself and your studies.

The student guidance counsellor at Chalmers is the students' first contact for supportive talking sessions and is bound by a duty of confidentiality.

To book an appointment with a student guidance counsellor, contact the one who provides guidance on your programme. 

Campus Johanneberg: Sven Hultins gata 8.
Campus Lindholmen: Building Saga, Studentcentrum, Hörselgången 4.

Student guidance for non-degree courses

If you have any questions about non-degree courses, you can contact Lena Sommarström.

Lena Sommarström
Study Guidance Counsellor at Student Support

Information desk (former Student Centre)

Visiting address and opening hours

Campus Johanneberg

FUSE's premises in the SB3 building. Sven Hultins gata 8 or via the entrance at Betongvägen 9.
Monday-Friday 12:00-14:00 (Studentcentrum: Tuesday and Thursday 12:00-14:00)

Campus Lindholmen

Ground floor, Saga building, Hörselgången 4
Tuesdays 12:00-14:00

Telephone and e-mail

E-mail to

Phone: +46 (0)31-7723250
Open for calls Monday-Friday (not Wednesdays) 10:00-11:00

There is a director of studies for every programme. The task of the director of studies is to support you as a student, mainly regarding subject-related issues. This includes providing information about course content and course selection, as well as conducting various assessments and making decisions about credit transfers from courses and exemptions. If you are wondering whether you meet the degree requirements for your programme, you can contact your director of studies. If you are going to study abroad at one of Chalmers’ partner universities, contact your director of studies to plan which courses you can study there and then transfer credit from when you return home again.

The director of studies works closely with heads of programmes and directors of master’s programmes to ensure the programmes’ quality and development, for instance through course evaluations.

To find your director of studies, see the list of contacts per programme.

Student ombud

The student ombud promotes good collaboration between students and employees at the University. It is simply an extra help for students, to avoid that the students end up at a disadvantage when there is a conflict with a teacher or other member of staff. The Student ombud can be of help with any case in the Disciplinary Committee, representing the students interests.

Please contact us on the email adress below, we will get back to you whithin 1 or 2 days. 

Peter Ljunglöf, tel 031-772 10 65​
Mats Norell, phone 031-772 12 60

Contacts for master's programmes

Each Master's degree programme has a management team consisting of the Director of the Master's programme, the Director...