From application to admission

What happens when you apply for a graduate appointment at a department associated with Chalmers University of Technology? This is explained here, together with a clarification of the requirements for those of you who wish to take a doctorate. More information and general advice and tips can be found on the homepages of the National Agency for Higher Education (HSV):
Handbook for Graduate Students, Swedish National Agency for Higher Education

Those of you who wish to take a doctorate at Chalmers University of Technology must first be admitted to a graduate school. For this you should have

  • a completed academic degree on advanced (master’s) level, or
  • completed courses of at least 240 higher education credits (hec) (according to the Swedish university level), of which at least 60 hec should be on advanced (master’s) level. Your degree should also include specialisations so that it is regarded as being associated closely enough with your graduate subject.

Apart from these general minimum requirements, special entrance requirements apply to the relevant subject. You may, for example, need to have specific subject knowledge and, for certain graduate schools, a master’s degree is required or equivalent subject knowledge acquired in a different way. The specific requirements are stated in the programme syllabus for each graduate school.

For those of you who are applying with non-Swedish first degrees, the corresponding entrance qualifications for Swedish undergraduate education are required. Applicants who do not have English or a Nordic language as their mother tongue also have to pass an English language test (e.g. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 550, ‘‘paper based’’ or TOEFL 213, ‘‘computer based’’) for admission.

If you do not fulfil the admission requirements, it is possible to use a special admissions procedure. Contact the director of studies at the graduate school and an examiner to discuss the courses you need to supplement. After consulting an examiner, the head of department (responsible for the work of the department) will then approve the supplementary course package you have proposed. Only when you have passed the courses can you be admitted as a graduate student.


The primary way to  get a doctoral position at Chalmers is to look at the website Vacancies, where all the positions are announced.  Sometimes also in other global websites for vacancies, newspapers with national coverage, as well as trade papers.

If you fulfil the requirements applying for admission to Chalmers graduate programmes, you can  initially contact the department and the supervisor in the research field which interests you. You can also get in touch with the director of studies at the relevant graduate school.

These people can tell you about the opportunities for a graduate appointment, possible research projects and how graduate study works. You should also bear in mind the opportunity to apply for graduate study at institutions other than the one at which you obtained your first degree. Research within the field of science often crosses departmental boundaries and involves many researchers with differing academic backgrounds.

Selection is based on an assessment of the ability of the applicant to benefit from the research study.

If you fulfil the entrance qualifications and receive a positive reply that there is a place for you as a graduate student, you should inform the university of this by completing a form for admission to graduate study – which should be handed to the departmental secretary.


The head of the department at which you are working should support your application by signing your application form. If you do not have a first degree from Chalmers University of Technology, you should attach a birth certificate which can be downloaded/ordered from the National Tax Board (

If you have a first degree from a foreign university, you should attach a copy of your university course certificate. The department will then send your application to the Study Administration and System Management at the Student and Education Office.

Published: Tue 28 Aug 2012.