Society is increasingly focusing on embedded and combined hardware and software solutions that are dynamic rather than static, which can grow and develop during their life cycle. Software is therefore rapidly becoming the main driving force for innovation and the future development in many different industries such as the automotive industry, the telecom industry, the defence industry and the software industry itself.
The current evolution is creating a growing importance of software in several areas of society. At the same time, the size and complexity of software is constantly increasing alongside the pressure of speedy supply in turbulent environments with rapidly changing demands. To meet these challenges and the demands of delivering reliable and high quality software, this programme offers a unique combination of advanced technical knowledge and required management skills.
Your studies will benefit greatly from the use of real industrial projects and collaboration with industry representatives from for example Ericsson, Volvo AB, Volvo IT, Volvo Cars, Saab and Astra Zeneca. In your future career you will be the team player with the important holistic software engineering perspective the industry demands for, able to handle technical and organizational challenges.
Our programme combines a number of perspectives on software engineering, all of which promote the common goal of educating engineers who are skilled in designing quality software at low development and maintenance costs. Software Engineering and Technology is also a platform for future researchers who get qualified to perform advanced technological and methodological experiments in software engineering.
The programme focuses on three main competences in software engineering:
- Avanced technical knowledge and skills
- Advanced knowledge of methods and processes
- Advanced knowledge of industrial activities and practices
The combination of this knowledge is highly valued and in great demand in the software industry in order to support, innovates, and improve practices with new methods and tools.
Our programme offers a mixture of conventional lectures, seminars, and project work in close collaboration with real industrial projects and industry representatives. Projects, group work, and student presentations are important parts of the programme.
Entry requirements (academic year 2019/20)
General entry requirements
An applicant must either have a Bachelor's degree in Science/Engineering/Technology/Architecture or be enrolled in his/her last year of studies leading to such a degree.
General entry requirements
Specific entry requirements
Bachelor's degree with a major in: Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Automation and Mechatronics Engineering or Industrial Engineering and Management
Prerequisites: Mathematics (at least 15 cr.) (including Discrete mathematics at least 7,5 cr. and Linear algebra at least 7,5 cr.) Programming (at least 15 cr. which must include at least 7,5 cr. of Object oriented programming), Algorithms and/or Data structures (at least 7,5 cr.) and Basic software engineering or Software engineering project (at least 7,5 cr.)
Preferable course experience: Mathematical statistics and Model driven software development
English language requirements
English language requirements
Chalmers Bachelor’s degree
Are you enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree programme at Chalmers now or do you already have a Bachelor’s degree from Chalmers? If so, different application dates and application instructions apply.Välja masterprogram på Studentportalen Useful links
The programme comprises of a number of compulsory courses that provide essential knowledge in order to become a highly skilled and advanced professional software engineer. Some of them are:
- Requirements Engineering: focuses on capturing customer/market needs and defining technologies
- Software Quality: focuses on modern methods of quality assurance in software development
- Project Management: focuses on the skills required for planning and executing projects as well as for leading software development teams at small and large enterprises
- Empirical Software Engineering: focuses on the frontline of research in software engineering – teaches you how to plan experiments and case studies as well as prepare reports for managers and scientists
- Software Evolution Project: focuses on real-life software projects aimed at creating technological improvements in the area of software engineering and combines both innovation and engineering aspects
The semi-elective and elective courses in the program along with the master thesis enables students to specialize with profound knowledge in certain areas, including software architecture, model-driven development, software process management, and software entrepreneurship.
Concerning the semi-elective courses (Year 1, Semester 2), the students must choose at least 15 credits from a list of courses organised in profile tracks:
- Software and user experience: Human-computer interaction, Human-centered design, Designing User Experiences
- Software architecture and process management: Advanced software architecture, Agile development processes
- Software and modeling: Model-driven engineering, Model-based testing
- Software and real-time system: Real time systems, Principles of concurrent programming, Parallel functional programming
- Software and security: Computer security, Network security
- Software and Algorithms: Algorithms for machine learning and inference, Algorithms
Please note that the above schematic view corresponds to the academic year starting in autumn 2018. Minor changes may occur.
Studying software engineering opens up a wide range of career opportunities within development, design, management, and research at manufacturing and engineering companies, consultant organizations, and supplier companies. Examples are:
- Software Developer: Design and implement the software modules of a system.
- Test Engineer: Design test cases and carry out system testing.
- Project Manager: Organize and lead software development projects.
- Software Architect: Design system architecture and make key technical decisions.
- Software Quality Manager: Select processes and check software quality.
- Doctoral Student/Scientist: Study and conduct research to obtain a PhD degree in software engineering.
In these roles, graduates contribute to the technological development of society, its well-being, and competitiveness.
The research group behind the programme has a long-term, and established, track record of performing industrial research with partners such as Ericsson, Volvo AB, Volvo IT, Volvo Cars, Saab, RUAG Space, and Astra Zeneca. As a student, you will take part in the group’s research through seminars, thesis projects, and individual research projects. The program offers various ways for participation in international research opportunities.
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
One concrete example is our link to the established research centra, Software Center, at Lindholmen Science Park in Gothenburg. In Software Center, seven companies and four universities work together to accelerate the adoption of novel approaches to software engineering. The centra is operating in four research themes. In each theme researchers and industry meet in research project directly connected to industrial challenges.