For vehicles using grid power to charge the battery, traction circuit components are not engaged during the charging time, so there is a possibility to use them in the charger circuit to have an on-board integrated charger. The aim of this project is to propose, develop and construct an isolated high power integrated charger based on a special electrical machine with a double set of stator windings. By reconfiguration of the motor stator windings in the charging mode, a six-terminal machine is achieved. The so called motor/generator acts as an isolated three-phase power source after synchronization with the utility grid in the charging mode. This rotary three-phase isolated power source constitutes a three-phase boost rectifier (battery charger) with full utilization of the inverter. The motor windings are reconfigured by a relay-based switching device for the charging and traction modes. A 4 pole 25 kW interior permanent magnet machine is used in the experimental system with a possibility to reconnect the windings for charging.
This sub project is part of the ‘‘Electrical System Design of PHEVs” project inside Swedish Hybrid Vehicle Centre (SHC). The project includes three parallel sections addressed by three parallel groups together at Chalmers, KTH and Lund: Motor Design and Sensorless control (KTH), On Board Integrated Charging (Chalmers) and EMC design (LTH).
Reports and articles from this project:
1. Haghbin, S.; Zelaya, H.; Carlson, O.; , ”Modal Field-Oriented Control of a Split-Phase PM Motor with Dual Inverters,” will be published in the Journal of Electrical and Control Engineering, 2013.
2. Erfani, M.J.; Thiringer, T.; Haghbin, S.; , ”Performance and losses analysis of charging and discharging mode of a bidirectional DC/DC fullbridge converter using PWM switching pattern,” Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2011 IEEE , vol., no., pp.1-6, 6-9 Sept. 2011 doi:10.1109/VPPC.2011.6043141.
3. Haghbin, S.; Thiringer, T.; , ”Impact of inverter switching pattern on the performance of a direct torque controlled synchronous reluctance motor drive,” Power Engineering, Energy and Electrical Drives, 2009. POWERENG ’09. International Conference on , vol., no., pp.337-341, 18-20 March 2009 doi: 10.1109/POWERENG.2009.4915173.
4. Férnandez Mandiola, J.; Castro Carmona, D.; Haghbin, S.; Abdulahovic, T.; Ellsén, M.; , “An FPGA Implementation of a Voltage-Oriented Controlled Three-Phase PWM Boost Rectifier,” in IEEE International Conference on Electrical Systems for Aircraft, Railway and Ship Propulsion – ESARS Italy, Sep. 2012.
5. Vindel, David; Haghbin, Saeid; Rabiei, Ali; Carlson, Ola; Ghorbani, Reza; ,” Field-oriented control of a PMSMdrive system using the dSPACE controller,” Electric Vehicle Conference (IEVC), 2012 IEEE International, vol., no., pp.1-5, 4-8 March 2012, USA, doi: 10.1109/IEVC.2012.6183206.
6. S. Haghbin,Thiringer, T., and Carlson, O., “An integrated split-phase dual-inverter permanent magnet motor drive and battery charger for grid-connected electric or hybrid vehicles”, the International Conference on Electrical Machines, ICEM, Marseille Sep 2012.
7. S. Haghbin, Kahn, K., Zhao. S., Alaküla, M., Lundmark, S., and Carlson, O., (2013) "An Integrated 20 kW Motor Drive and Isolated Battery Charger for Plug-in Vehicles" submitted to the IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics.
8. S. Haghbin, Lundmark, S., Alaküla, M., and Carlson, O., (2013) ”Grid-Connected Integrated Battery Chargers in Vehicle Applications: Review and New Solution”, IEEE Trans on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 2, Feb 2013.
9. S. Haghbin, Sadeghi Kani, M., Vindel, D., Carlson, O., and Lundmark, S. (2012) “A trigonometric velocity estimator using resolver sensor in drive system applications”, the 38th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON), Montreal, Canada, 25-27 October 2012.
10. Haghbin, Saeid; Lundmark, Sonja; Carlson, Ola; Alakula, Mats (2011) “A Combined Motor/Drive/Battery Charger Based on a Split-Windings PMSM”, the IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC 2011), 2011.
11. Haghbin, Saeid; Lundmark, Sonja; Alakula, Mats; Carlson, Ola (2011) An isolated high power integrated charger in electrified vehicle applications, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, p. 4115, Vol 60, Nov 2011.
12. Saeid Haghbin, Sonja Lundmark and Ola Carlson (2010) “Performance of a Direct Torque Controlled IPM Drive System in the Low Speed Region”, IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE10), Italy 4-7 July 2010.
13. Saeid Haghbin, Kashif Khan, Sonja Lundmark, Mats Alaküla, Ola Carlson, Mats Leksell and Oskar Wallmark, (2010) “Integrated Chargers for EV’s and PHEV’s: Examples and New Solutions”, International Conference on Electrical Machines, ICEM, Sep 2010.
14. Saeid Haghbin, Mats Alakula, Kashif Khan, Sonja Lundmark, Mats Leksell, Oskar Wallmark and Ola Carlson, (2010) ”An Integrated Charger for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles Based on a Special Interior Permanent Magnet Motor Vehicle Power and propulsion Conference (VPPC), Lille, France, 1-3 September 2010.