Research Motivating Problem:
Vehicle winter testing is needed for various purposes (OEM development tests, driver behavior studies, etc.) but associated with difficulties like low repeatability and reproducibility, danger and high cost. Driving simulators are great tools and can potentially be used as a substitute for real life testing if the virtual environment fidelity is high.
- Motion feedback strategies for winter driving,
- Enhanced vehicle and tire‐to‐winter road surface interaction models
Research questions and output
- How should the surface/tire be modelled w.r.t local properties like roughness, grip vibrations to reproduce real life phenomena
- How should the motion platform of the driving simulator be tuned to reproduce a motion sensation that is perceived with high realism
- 1 VehDyn Licentiate of Engineering graduated