The Know-ME project will establish a network of excellence in Europe, integrating experience from leading maritime research and education institutions. Maritime training and education requires a life cycle approach, developed in line with the industry expectations and modern lifestyles. Career management, e-training and education will be prompted by establishing an e-portal that integrates with other e-maritime initiative developments; enhancing the transparency, transferability, compatibility of training and education standards. The pilot applications of e-courses developed within KNow-ME will allow for continued professional development.
Project time: June 2011 – June 2014
- Imaging – Creating a modern image of shipping in Europe.
- Research – for strengthening the human factors in shipping.
- Education of maritime and on-shore professions on job opportunities and career management.
- Review of education and training policies and practices from an international perspective.
- EU-Portal for career management and development, e-training and e-education.
- Identifying the perceptions of, and attitudes towards the shipping industry among external targets groups.
- Investigate whether the perception of jobs functions could be broadened to include flexible arrangements for operating purposes on board ships.
- To propose a model for an alternative crew optimization that could be applied to one or more vessels for a limited period.
- Importance of human factors in terms of knowledge transfer, quality of working life, and the transferability of skills over a career path.
Chalmers University of Technology, Margareta Lützhöft, Margareta Ljung, Karin Nodin, Johan Hartler, Sweden
Hochschule Bremen, Germany
Jacobs University Bremen GGMBH, Germany
Fachhochschule Lübeck, Germany
Høgskolen i Molde, Norway
IVL Svenska miljöinstitutet AB, Sweden
Göteborgs universitet, Sweden
Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom
University of the Aegean-Research unit, Greece
Universiteit Antwerpen, Belgium
Ralf Duckert – DSN analysen & strategien kooperationsmanagement, Germany