The goal of this project is to investigate different generator systems for offshore wind turbines with HVDC connections. Main aspects are to study energy efficiencies and weight/cost of the system. Accordingly, to determine the life cycle cost for various systems. Moreover, an important goal is to establish the dynamic ability of the torque control when simplified set-ups are used.
To achieve the goal of the project, so far a 3-stage gearbox surface and interior mounted permanent magnet synchronous generators with an active transistor converter have been studied. The work will continue by designing a direct drive and a one stage gearbox permanent magnet synchronous machine, as well as induction generators and synchronous reluctance machines. An axial and transverse flux machine might be considered.
A diode and a Vienna rectifier followed by a full bridge converter bringing the energy to the dc-point will be investigated due to the lower cost potential. This system will be compared with the switching PWM inverter equipped with IGBTs which has been studied. Moreover, filter for the various systems and multi-phase machines might be investigated.
Reports and articles from this project:
1. Poopak Roshanfekr, Torbjörn Thiringer, Mikael Alatalo, Sonja Tidblad Lundmark (2012) “Performance of two 5 MW Permanent Magnet Wind Turbine Generators Using Surface Mounted and Interior Mounted Magnets”, the International Conference on Electrical Machines, ICEM, Marseille Sep 2012.
2. Poopak Roshanfekr, Torbjörn Thiringer, Sonja Tidblad Lundmark (2012) “Efficiency comparison of a 5 MW wind turbine PMSG-equipped generating system using various dc-link voltages”, EVER Conference on Electrical Vehicles and Renewable energies, Monte Carlo, Monaco, paper 73, 21-22 March 2012.
3. Poopak Roshanfekr, Torbjörn Thiringer, Sonja Tidblad Lundmark, Mikael Alatalo (2012) "Selecting IGBT module for a high voltage 5 MW wind turbine PMSG-equipped generating system," Power Electronics and Machines in Wind Applications (PEMWA), Denver, USA , pp.1-6, 16-18 July 2012.
4. Poopak Roshanfekr, Torbjörn Thiringer, Sonja Tidblad Lundmark, Mikael Alatalo (2012) "DC-link voltage selection for a multi-MW wind turbine," Paper under review, submitted to COMPEL: The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
5. Arash Mazaheri, "A 5MW wind turbine generator system for a DC grid application,", Master thesis report, Göteborg, Sweden, Chalmers University of Technology, Department of Energy and Environment, 2012.