Disposal of graphene-containing coatings on large surfaces for various functional applications
The long-term ambition is to establish a financial deposit of a new class of graphene-containing large area coatings, with varying matrix material: ceramic, metallic and intermetallic. As a starting point and in view of the specific immediate interest of bransch of industry partners, a ceramic matrix and a metallic matrix will be examined during the project period for this R&D project. Thermal spraying technology will be used to produce graphene-containing coatings, by applying material blends as well as a new hybrid method, while utilizing a powder along with a graphene suspension. At the end of the project, the following four questions will be answered, which currently prevent industrial users from utilizing thermal spraying as a way to deposit graphene-containing coatings:
1. Can we maintain the grapene's properties if it is thermally sprayed?
2. Can the graphene be evenly distributed in a matrix?
3. Are there limits to how much the graphene can be loaded into a particular matrix?
4. What level of improvement in functional properties and endurance can be achieved by graphene addition?
This R&D project is also expected to provide a good platform for expanding the new knowledge generated for other material systems that could meet expected requirements for applications in batteries / supercapacitors, solar cells, sensors etc. Surface coatings already constitute one of six strength areas within SIO Grafen and makes this R&D project highly relevant.
- University West (Academic, Sweden)
- University West (Publisher, Sweden)
- 2D fab AB (Private, Sweden)
This page is only available in english
The project is closed: 31/12/2020