CONSTRUCTIVATE is a multidisciplinary, cross-sectorial research project aiming at generating knowledge and solutions for sustainable recycling of construction and demolition waste (CDW) and for formation of the future CDW recycling system. CDW is the largest waste stream (mining waste excluded) in Sweden; still only half of the waste generated is recycled. Thus, the project will focus on increasing the recycling rate of CDW, and in particular of the material fractions currently recycled into low/no-value materials or not being recycled at all, but having a significant impact on the carbon footprint of the construction activities in society. Construction activities, thus CDW generation, are expected to increase dramatically in Sweden in the next years, due to e.g. the current shortage of housing and the expected refurbishment of the housing built as a part of the Swedish Million Programme in the 1960s.
- Identify drivers and barriers in the current and future AEC industry, and develop work process solutions, to enhance the use of secondary materials and CDW management.
- Identify materials that are feasible for recycling in terms of e.g. economy and environment. Develop applications for secondary raw materials from CDW, but also construction applications from residues and by-products from other sectors.
- Identifying driver and barriers in the supply chain, and develop logistic models, collaborations and business models, that enable value circles and a more efficient recycling system.
- Thoroughly understand the consequences of current policies and their implementation, and propose and evaluate suggested solutions for enhanced recycling of CDW.
- Identify and understand (i) the mechanisms behind the most critical and influential factors complicating CDW recycling, (ii) where development efforts would have the largest impact on probability for success and sustainability, and (iii) the requirements on the future recycling system.
- Tarkett AB (Private, Sweden)
- Swerea IVF AB (Private, Sweden)
- White Architects (Private, Sweden)
- Rivab AB (Private, Sweden)
- IKEM (Non Profit, Sweden)
- Peab Sverige, Göteborg (Private, Sweden)
- RISE Research Institutes of Sweden (Research Institute, Sweden)
- Cementa (Private, Sweden)
- IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute (Research Institute, Sweden)
- Stena Recycling AB (Private, Sweden)
- Renova (Private, Sweden)
- City of Gothenburg (Public, Sweden)
- Swerock (Private, Sweden)
- NCC AB (Private, Sweden)
- Stiftelsen Chalmers Industriteknik (Private, Sweden)
- Chalmers Fastigheter (Private, Sweden)
The project is closed: 31/12/2019