Health and insurance

Health care in Sweden

Sweden has a well-developed health care system and most doctors and nurses speak English. The health care system in Sweden is tax-based, which means that the cost of a doctor’s appointment is relatively low and, more or less, the same at public health care centres throughout the country.  

If you are feeling unwell, you book an appointment at a health care centre (vårdcentral) and if the doctor thinks you need a specialist you will be referred to a hospital. You should of course visit the hospital directly if you have an acute problem, like a severe accident. If you need emergency assistance you should call 112 (the number for ambulance, police and the fire brigade). For medical advice, or if you are unsure who to contact, you can always call 1177 to get help.

Dental care in Sweden is separate from the overall health care and the Public Dental Service (Folktandvården) can be found on several locations all over the country. Costs for dental care can vary depending on your problem, where you are from etc. 

You will be part of the Swedish public health care system once you have a Swedish personal identity number, but it is important that you make sure to be covered by a good insurance as well. More information can be found further down on this page.

Health care and dental care for international students

Insurance and health care in Sweden​

Student health centre

You can contact the student health centre at Chalmers if you are experiencing study related illness. It is a complement to the public health care system for students and it provides individual counselling, physiotherapy, general and psychiatric help. Booking an appointment is free of charge and English-speaking counselors are available. They can also help you if you are unsure about who to contact regarding the problem you are experiencing. ​

Personal injury insurance for students

All students at Chalmers are covered during college hours and while travelling directly between their place of residence and the university through Chalmers’ agreement with Kammarkollegiet concerning personal injury insurance. Kammarkollegiet is a Swedish public agency that provides different types of insurance programmes for students studying at the higher education level. The perso​nal injury insurance provides basic protection which covers personal injury in the event of an accident, as well as certain cases of illness caused by infection. 

For comprehensive insurance cover, students must take out their own accident insurance to cover other times/leisure time as well as home insurance.

Please make sure that your insurance company is informed about your stay in Sweden. As the policies regarding accident, medical or property insurance vary from one country to another, you are advised to find out what applies in your case. The rules can be different depending on your citizenship and the length of your studies in Sweden.

Insurer: Kammarkollegiet, Insurance Department
Policy number: 556479-5598-3

Fee-paying students and scholarship students

Students who pay tuition fees (incl. scholarship students) are covered by the FAS+ policy. This policy includes accident coverage, illness coverage, dental care, home transport, liability coverage, legal protection and property coverage. The insurance is valid 24 hours a day in the Schengen area with the exception of the Property cover in FAS+, which is only valid in Sweden.
Insurer: Kammarkollegiet, Insurance Department
Insurance number: 556479-5598-0007

When you are applying for a residence permit

When you apply for your residence permit through the Swedish Migration Agency (portal) online it is important to fill it in correctly.

If you are admitted to more than one year of studies, you don’t have to submit any separate proof of health insurance when you apply for your residence permit. You must attach the Notification of selection result (admission letter) available at your account at universityadmissions.se instead. Don't enter “Course Starting and Course ending dates”.

The Swedish Migration Agency has knowledge of that full-time master’s students are insured for the entire study period at Chalmers.

Further information about how to apply for a residence permit for studies in higher education ​

Students from EU/EES

Students from any EU/EES country are covered by the Chalmers insurance policy mentioned above. These students are obligated to acquire their own health insurance from their home country which covers remaining hours in Sweden.​

Exchange students 

Like all other students, incoming exchange students at Chalmers are insured during school hours and direct travel between their place of residence and the university. The insurance is valid in Sweden and covers primarily accidents during school hours and travel to and from the school.
Incoming exchange students are also covered by Student IN. This requires the student to study or train within the frame of an exchange agreement, i.e., an agreement must have been drawn up between Chalmers and the foreign seat of learning.
Student IN includes a limited amount of accident cover during leisure time, the right to compensation for emergency medical care or emergency dental care (not EU), home transport cover, liability protection and legal protection.

Insurer: Kammarkollegiet, Insurance Department
Policy number: 556479-5598-1

Students at Shipping and Marine Technology

Students admitted for education to the Department of Shipping and Marine Technology are also covered by the Special Personal Injury Protection insurance during ship-based training. The insurance is valid 24 hours a day around the world, except for Sweden. In Sweden, the personal injury insurance for students applies.

Insurer: Kammarkollegiet, Insurance Department
Policy number: 556479-5598-2


Contact the Student Centre at Chalmers: student.centre@chalmers.se

Page manager Published: Fri 11 Jun 2021.