The CHAIR Consortium consists of the following core partners: Chalmers, Volvo Group, CEVT, Volvo Cars, Ericsson and Sahlgrenska University Hospital. While the application domains of the partners are diverse, they all face a set of common challenges in developing AI/ML solutions, which are addressed in this call. This call for 1- and 2-year projects asks for novel research ideas and solutions that address these common challenges and are of interest for the consortium partners.
- Submission due : Dec 15, 2020 (the date is firm)
- Notification: Feb , 2021
- Project start: April 1st 2021
- Project end (first year): March 31st, 2022
A budget per project is up to 600 kSEK/year. Two-year projects will be approved for one year and conditionally for the second year after the evaluation from the first year. The total budget of this call will be sufficient for 6-8 projects.
The proposals must be supported from at least one core partner. A letter of intent from a core partner is required. A contribution in kind or in cash from core partners is preferable. Chalmers institutions, as defined for all CHAIR projects, need to contribute 10% of the budget in kind.
Applications that build teams with a good gender balance are encouraged.
The proposal topics should be in the area of AI, or AI-related area. The project can be of fundamental-AI character, or Applied AI with emphasis of a combination AI with other fundamental research areas (AI enablers), or a use of AI in a particular domain.
- Eligible applicants are Chalmers researchers including GU employees at shared departments (MV and CSE). PhD students or master students from Chalmers, or GU from the education programs at shared departments can be included in the project.
- The budget should not exceed 600 kSEK per year including indirect costs (OH). It can cover personnel costs, and other costs up to 10% of the project budget, excluding equipment. Further, 10% funding in kind is requested from the department hosting the project.
- The proposal should follow the formats and outline defined in two templates and the letter(s) of intent. Incomplete proposals, or proposals that do not follow the defined format and size of the templates will be desk-rejected.
- A researcher can only be part of one proposal.
Submission and notification
The proposals should be submitted as one PDF file consisting of the following parts
- Chair Project proposal form - one page (Word template)
- Project Plan - max 5 pages, including ethical considerations (Word template)
- CVs of main applicants - one page per applicant
- Letter of Intent (Word template)
The proposal should be submitted as a PDF-file containing all above documents to Easychair.
Upon notification, the PIs should prepare and sign the project contract with the CHAIR Consortium. The manager of the PI (Head of Unit or head of department) at Chalmers will also sign the contract.
The proposals will be evaluated by a CHAIR independent review team and the decision of funding will be taken by the CHAIR Core Partners Board, and approved by CHAIR steering committee.
- The research novelty of the proposal.
- The involvement of the core partners. Involvement of several core partners will be prioritized.
- The relevance for core partners (including the number that found it relevant).
- The possible impact of the research to the research field.
- The expected research results, and the potential of the research results for further research or utilization.
- The feasibility of the project plan.
- The ability of the project members to deliver the results.
- The ethical reasoning.
Contact information and possible questions: