A number of startups from all over the world contributed to the Imagine chemistry competition to get to the final at Vera´s lawn at Chalmers. 20 succeeded, 10 became winners and Finecell became Most Promising Startup.
“We want to create something similar to a hackaton. These startups get the chance to hammer out a business plan together with our own experts. The idea is that they, in the end of the event, have a case good enough for us to partner up with them”, says Peter Nieuwenhuizen, Corporate Director of RD&I & Sustainability, AkzoNobel Speciality Chemicals.
For four days the startups escaped the hot and humid weather in Gothenburg and worked intensely refining their ideas with help from corporates from AkzoNobel and other experts trying to finalize the ideas and make them viable for large-scale business.
"I love the fact that we are here at Vera’s lawn. It is combination of science on the one hand and the industrial applications which Sweden is known for. It is fantastic to be here” says Peter Nieuwenhuizen.
The choice to have the prestigious competition at Chalmers was only natural, says Lars.
In Sweden the collaboration between academy and industry is very strong. It is qualifying for companies to collaborate with academy and therefore it is only natural for us to have this innovation contest here at Chalmers” says Lars Andersson, General Manager Performance Chemicals, AkzoNobel Speciality Chemicals.
These are the winners of the Imagine Chemistry conteset:
• Edinburgh Napier University – Två veckors fri Chemical Support
• Invert Robotics – Support från KPMG
• Semiotic Labs – Support från ICOS Capital
• Fraunhofer UMSICHT – Support från Lux Research
• FineCell – Most Promising Startup från Chalmers Ventures med plats i Startup Camp och rådgivning från investment team
• University of Nottingham – Akzo Nobel Research Award
• Sulogen Inc. – Joint Development Agreement med Akzo Nobel
• Water Knight – Joint Development Agreement med Akzo Nobel
• Green Lizard Technologies & Dixie Chemicals – Joint Development Agreement med Akzo Nobel
• Fero Labs – Joint Development Agreement med Akzo Nobel