Universities and colleges have a central role to play in the work against climate change. The climate framework acts as the starting off point for developing specific climate strategies at those universities who have signed up. The goal is to contribute to national and international measures to keep to the 1.5C warming limit.
The challenges posed by the climate will require changes from all sectors of society. Universities and colleges have a central role to play in this work. We have an important mission to contribute to climate work through our teaching, research and collaboration, but we also need to reduce the climate influence from our own operations.
Therefore, Chalmers and KTH have taken the initiative for a climate framework, which has been developed in collaboration with other Swedish universities and colleges. The ambition is that together we will contribute meaningfully to climate works, in line with societal national and international measures.
The focus of the climate framework is on the emissions from universities’ own activities (direct impact), but it also addresses the impact from our core operations – education, research and collaboration (indirect impact).
So far, 38 universities and colleges are signed up to the climate framework. We who have signed up see the climate as an essential and high-priority future question, and agree, by the year 2030, to have carried out measures to adhere to the 1.5C warming limit.
The climate framework consists of a short document connected to a longer set of guidelines, which describe a number of key areas for climate work for the higher education sector. With the help of this guidance document, each university identifies the areas where they can set goals and implement measures based on their own set of conditions. For Chalmers, this has resulted in a climate strategy.
The following higher education institutions are signed up to the framework
- Beckmans College of Design
- Blekinge Institute of Technology
- Chalmers University of Technology
- Dalarna University College
- Ersta Sköndal Bräcke University College
- Gävle University College
- Halmstad University
- Jönköping University
- Karlstad University
- Karolinska Institute
- Konstfack, University of Arts, Crafts and Design
- Kristianstad University
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology
- Linköping University
- Linnaeus University
- Luleå University of Technology
- Lund University
- Malmö University
- Mid Sweden University
- Mälardalen University College
- Newman Institute
- Red Cross University College of Nursing
- Royal College of Music, Stockholm
- Royal Institute of Art
- Sophiahemmet University College
- Stockholm School of Economics
- Stockholm School of Theology
- Stockholm University College of Music Education
- Swedish Defence University
- Swedish School of Sport and Health Sciences, GIH
- Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
- Södertörn University
- Umeå University
- University College West
- University of Borås
- University of Gothenburg
- University of Skövde
- Örebro University