Startdatum och periodicitet för kurser kan variera. Se detaljer för respektive kurs för aktuell information. För anmälan, kontakta respektive kursansvarig.
Applied optical spectroscopy
- Kurskod: FKBT165
- ECTS-poäng: 7,5
- Institution: KEMI OCH KEMITEKNIK
- Forskarskola: Kemi
- Undervisningsspråk: Kursen kommer att ges på engelska
The overall aim of this course is to provide an understanding about various spectroscopic techniques, from the theoretical background to the hands on procedures.
Learning outcome (after completion of this course, the student should be able to)
1. Apply basic quantum chemistry to describe and predict the outcome of light-matter interactions. Assessed in written exam.
2. Assign point group of a given molecule in order to find allowed or forbidden transitions based on molecular structure. Assessed in written exam.
3. Derive the selection rules for transitions within atoms and molecules. Assessed in written exam.
4. Apply your knowledge of optical spectroscopic techniques, such as UV-vis absorption, fluorescence, IR, and Raman to solve basic spectroscopic problems, both theoretically and practically. Assessed in written exam and project.
5. Describe the theory behind the function of a laser. Also, identify practical problems where laser spectroscopy can be used. Assessed in written exam.
6. Collect experimental and literature data and critically analyze the result within a team. Further, present your results in a report as well as orally. Assessed in project.
7. Understand the theoretical background of rotational, vibrational, and electronic spectroscopy. Assessed in written exam and project.
Application is made by sending an email to Maria Abrahamsson.
Physics or Chemistry equivalent to 15 ECTS.
Assistant professor Maria Abrahamsson
Assistant professor Maria Abrahamsson, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: + 46 31 772 30 69
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Physical Chemistry, Kemivägen 10