Departments' graduate courses
Course start and periodicity may vary. Please see details for each course for up-to-date information. The courses are managed and administered by the respective departments. For more information about the courses, how to sign up, and other practical issues, please contact the examiner or course contact to be found in the course information.
- Course code: FSEE010
- Course higher education credits: 7.5
- Department: SPACE, EARTH AND ENVIRONMENT
- Graduate school: Radio and Space Science
- Course start: 2021-09-01
- Course end: 2021-12-31
- Course is normally given: Every third year
- Language: The course will be given in English
- Nordic Five Tech (N5T): This course is free for PhD students from N5T universities
The aim of the course is to provide an understanding of the processes that determine
the structure and composition of the atmosphere, including dynamical processes and
- Describe the structure of the atmosphere from the ground to 120 km altitude and indicate the physical reasons for this structure
- Describe and compute the effect of the absorption of photons in the atmosphere for given conditions.
- Estimate wind directions and strengths given relevant maps of pressure or geopotential height
- Describe the most important chemical processes occurring in the stratosphere
The course includes:
- Basic introduction to atmospheric structure and composition
- Atmospheric dynamics
- Radiative processes in the atmosphere including the effects of photon absorption both on structure and composition
- Techniques for computation of radiative processes
- Atmospheric chemistry using stratospheric ozone as the prime example
- Discussion of the effects of anthropogenic change on the atmosphere.
Atmospheric Science -An introductory survey, J. M. Wallace and P. V. Hobbs Academic Press.
Michael Kahnert Michael.Kahnert@smhi.se