Departments' graduate courses
Course start and periodicity may vary. Please see details for each course for up-to-date information. The courses are managed and administered by the respective departments. For more information about the courses, how to sign up, and other practical issues, please contact the examiner or course contact to be found in the course information.
Thermal management for electric vehicles
- Course code: FMMS045
- Course higher education credits: 7.5
- Department: MECHANICS AND MARITIME SCIENCES
- Graduate school: Machine and Vehicle Systems
- Course is normally given: Every other year.
- Language: The course will be given in English
- Nordic Five Tech (N5T): This course is free for PhD students from N5T universities
The course starts with a review of basic principles of thermodynamics and heat transfer. An introduction to EV technologies with focus on the importance and need for sophisticated thermal management systems in EVS is presented. Thermal management solutions for EV components and subsystems considering both EES and E-Powertrain, as well as passenger compartment. Building blocks for the thermal optimization process like heat exchangers, heat pumps and heat pipes are discussed.
The main modules comprise:
- General introduction to thermodynamics and heat transfer
- Introduction to EV system and importance of E-Thermal Management
- Heat exchangers, heat pumps and heat pipes
- EES (traction battery and/or fuel cells) Temperature Management
- Charging Management
- E-Powertrain (electric motor and power electronics) Cooling Systems
- Interior Air Conditioning (cabin comfort)
- Analysis of thermal compatibility between components and subsystems
- Model-Based Methodology Approach for thermal design of EVs
- Brake cooling
The lectures will be given on campus, but there will be possibility to follow-up the course on-line.
Examiner: Professor: Simone Sebben, phone: 031-7721176, Email: email@example.com
Main lecturers: Jelena Andric, phone: 031-7726440, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alexey Vdovin, phone 031-7723626, Email: email@example.com
Simone Sebben, phone: 031-7721176, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Invited guest lecturers from industry