Departments' graduate courses
Course start and periodicity may vary. Please see details for each course for up-to-date information. The courses are managed and administered by the respective departments. For more information about the courses, how to sign up, and other practical issues, please contact the examiner or course contact to be found in the course information.
Advanced Concrete Engineering
- Course code: FBOM110
- Course higher education credits: 7.5
- Department: ARCHITECTURE AND CIVIL ENGINEERING
- Graduate school: Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Course is normally given: Spring 2019
- Language: The course will be given in English
Content and Objectives
Advanced concrete engineering deals with structural materials, components, connections, structural systems and special applications of reinforced and prestressed concrete. Issues related to different phases are treated such as conceptual design, design and detailing, production, operation and assessment. The course content is complementary to education about concrete structures at undergraduate and master¿s levels. The content of the course can be described with the following main areas:
- material behaviour, mechanics and modelling of various types of concrete, reinforcement and prestressing units,
- behaviour, modelling, design and detailing of components and connections in concrete structures,
- design issues, problems and solutions in modern types of structural systems,
- development of solutions with regard to efficient use of resources and sustainability during production and operation.
The aim of the course is to promote development of a deeper understanding of reinforced and prestressed concrete, and to widen the knowledge of various modern applications and current design issues.
After the course the participant should be able to
- describe the field of concrete engineering, its challenges and possibilities,
- take part in teaching,
- solve various problems in concrete engineering, development and research,
- relate the own research topic or development work to the field of concrete engineering.
Recommended basis for the course is master¿s level in Structural engineering. The course should be of interest for
- graduate students, teachers and researchers in structural engineering and concrete science,
- practicing structural engineers wanting to specialise in concrete engineering.
The course will have a total duration of about three months and will be given in three concentrated blocks. The course will be given during the spring 2019. The literature is in English. In the case of non-Swedish participants the lectures will be given in English. The detailed course plan will be developed in interaction with the participants.
The course is a part of the course program in the National graduate school in Structural engineering within ¿Sveriges Bygguniversitet¿. The course venues will be at Chalmers in Göteborg and at LTU in Luleå.
Karin Lundgren and Mario Plos from Chalmers and Mats Emborg, Jan-Erik Jonasson and Martin C Nilsson from LTU. Teachers from other universities can be: Anders Ansell and Johan Silfwerbrand from KTH and Miklos Molnar from LTH.
Swedish gradate school in Structural Engineering
Contact: Mario Plos, firstname.lastname@example.org