Joint Nordic Master in Innovative sustainable energy engineering

120 credits (MSc, 2 years)

The purpose of the Nordic Master in Innovative sustainable energy engineering (ISEE) is to provide state-of-the-art education in the fields of conventional and renewable energy sources like conventional and new power generation, solar energy, biomass energy, wind power, geothermal power, and energy utilization in the built environment by means of economically and environmentally sustainable systems and technologies.
The term "sustainable energy engineering" comprises a wide array of practices, policies and technologies (conventional and renewable/alternative) aimed at providing energy at the least financial, environmental and social cost. A strong emphasis is placed on dealing with energy engineering tasks with due consideration of technical, environmental and socio-economic issues. Another strong emphasys is put on the innovative and entrepreneurial aspects of the energy society, especially related to how existing and new efficiency improvement innovations can be brought to the market in different countries. The innovative aspects inside the programme are both related to the advanced renewable concept in the Nordic countries as well as regards to new businesses in the energy sector.

Study at two Nordic universities

The Master’s programme in Innovative sustainable energy engineering is a collaboration between five leading technical universities in the Nordic countries (Nordic Five Tech). The programme gives you a unique opportunity to tailor your degree based on your academic interests.
You will get to study at two of the partner universities in different countries (however, note that it is not possible to study at both Chalmers and KTH), spending one year at each one, and you will graduate with a double master’s degree. The universities participating in the Master's in Innovative Sustainable Energy Engineering are:

Aalto University, Finland
Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway
Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark
The Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden

The coordinator of the Nordic Master in Innovative Sustainable Energy Engineering (ISEE)  is Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).
The application process for ISEE(N5T) is administered by Aalto University.
Chalmers University of Technology participates in the following tracks:
  • Geothermal Energy
  • Heat and Power Engineering


The application has to be made to the university which is responsible for the specific programme. The application process and deadlines may vary for the different programmes. Make sure to carefully read the information specified on each programme description. When you apply you must include a motivational letter.
Innovative Sustainable Energy Engineering (application through Aalto)
Application is open from 1 December 2021 to 15 January 2022 only.

Tuition Fees

Each of the participating universities have different rules regarding tuition fees. Please check what rules apply for each of the two universities where you will be studying.
Tuition fees at Chalmers


All Nordic Five Tech applicants who are required to pay tuition fees at Chalmers (regardless of their year of study) are eligible to apply for scholarships. All Nordic Master applicants will receive an email at the end of March, or in the beginning of April with instructions regarding the scholarship application. Eligiblee applicants nominated by the Nrodic five tech committee will receive a personal e-mail with instructions regarding the possibility to apply for a scholarship, in April. In the meantime you are welcome to read about them.
Take note, do not apply for a scholarship administered by Chalmers prior to receiving a personal e-mail with instructions.

Related links


Practical matters​

The practical aspects of your stay in the Nordic countries depend on the rules that apply in each country. Generally you should check what applies for each of the two countries that you will be studying in, as well as for each of the two universities.

Residence permit

Generally EU/EEA citizens do not need a residence permit for the Nordic countries. For details, please check the regulations of each of the two countries that you will be studying in.


Please check what rules apply at each of the two universities that you will be studying at.


The process of getting student accommodation differs at each participating university.

Related links

Studying at Chalmers

Student blogs

Page manager Published: Thu 10 Feb 2022.