Frequently asked questions concerning studies at Chalmers


  1. Bachelor and Doctoral Studies
  2. Master's Studies
  3. Scholarships, tuition fees and living costs
  4. Accommodation
  5. Residence Permit
  6. Swedish Language
  7. After Arrival


Bachelor and Doctoral Studies


  1. I want to study at a Bachelor programme at Chalmers, what should I do?
    If you want to study at Bachelor level at Chalmers, you need to prove your Swedish proficiency. All the Bachelor programmes at Chalmers are taught in Swedish.
  2. How do I become a PhD student at Chalmers and how much would the fees be?
    You can know more about Doctoral studies at Chalmers at Doctoral Studies. You can find all the available PhD student positions at Vacancies. Unlike many other universities, Chalmers does not charge tuition fees for PhD students. Usually, a PhD student is considered as a fulltime employee and is entitled to the corresponding benefits (salary, social benefits, etc.).


Master Studies


  1. What are the Master's programmes available at Chalmers?
    Chalmers University of Technology offers about 40 Master's programmes and all except one are taught in English. Find out what programmes are offered and their profile. Besides that, together with other Nordic universities, we offer Nordic Five Tech's joint Master's programmes that lead to a double Master's degree.

  2. What are the eligibility criteria for the Master's programmes at Chalmers?
    Chalmers has general entry requirements that are the same for all Master's programmes. In addition to these, each Master's programme has specific entry requirements. The applicant must have one of the Bachelor’s majors listed for the programme applied for, as well as all the courses listed as prerequisites (if any). The prerequisite courses must all be covered and only courses included in the transcript of records (passed and graded) count. Ongoing courses (not listed and/or not graded in the submitted transcript of records) will not be approved. Each course in your transcript of records that you want to claim as matching the courses listed as prerequisites (if any) must also be clarified in detail by a supporting syllabus (course plan including course content and outcome). All requirements must be met and the documentation to prove it must be submitted before the deadline for supporting documents. Read more about the specific requirements for all Master’s programmes at Chalmers.

  3. Where can I find information specific to my country?
    Where was your Degree issued? You can find country instructions at universityadmissions.se.

  4. Does Chalmers require me to prove my English skills?
    Yes. Proficiency in English language is one of the specific entry requirements and you must meet the English requirements when applying for a programme, otherwise your application will be rejected. Please note that Chalmers does not make exceptions from the minimum scores if you provide a test. Read more about English language requirement.

  5. How can I convert the credits from my university’s credit system into the Chalmers credits system?
    Chalmers Admissions is fully aware that all countries do not have the same education systems, and this is taken into consideration in the assessment of applications. You can compare the Swedish higher education credits to other credit systems before you make your application.

  6. Does Chalmers need me to submit a GRE test?
    No, Chalmers admissions does not request and will not asses your GRE test results.

  7. I am from X University and I have a major in Y, with Z in my English test. Could you tell me my chance to be admitted before I submit my application? If not, why?
    No. Chalmers Admissions cannot beforehand give an answers to whether an applicant is eligible - nor whether the applicant will be admitted. One of the reasons is that Chalmers Admissions compares your complete application with the ones of other applicants.

  8. I have technical difficulties using the application system. Could you help me?
    You need to contact University Admissions Support Center for matters conserning the application system. They are the ones operating the system.

  9. If I am admitted to one programme, can I apply for a transfer to another programme?
    You may apply for a transfer to another master's programme in semester 1 of year 1. There is no guarantee of a place being available or you being eligible for the other programme. The application for a transfer will be reviewed and assessed to ensure that the applicant fulfills all the requirements of the new programme. ​

  10. How can I find the courses that are part of my programme?
    Each programme page has information about the content and courses included. There's also a link to the Student Portal where the courses for that programme are listed by academic year. You can choose academic year one or two at the top right hand side of the page. You can also do this by going directly using the Programme Search page on the Student Portal.

  11. Where can I find the schedule for my courses?
    You can find all schedules on TimeEdit. On TimeEdit schedules can be generated based on various criteria including programme name, course name, course code and even the name of classrooms or the teacher. The schedule shows information including dates, times, locations and even which programmes are related to the lecture.


Scholarships, tuition fees and living costs


  1. Does Chalmers offer any scholarships?
    Yes. Meritorious students from around the world, required to pay tuition fees, are eligible for one of the numerous scholarships offered and administrated by Chalmers. Additionally, there are several external scholarships that you can apply for such as the Swedish Institute Scholarships. Students are also encouraged to search for and identify other such scholarships.

  2. Does Chalmers offer scholarships for current students? If I am fee paying student without a scholarship at present, is there an options for me?
    Yes. Information about the scholarships available for current Master's students that are administrated by Chalmers is published at Chalmers Student portal.

  3. What happens to my scholarship if I apply for a new Master's programme once at Chalmers?
    As scholarships are programme-specific, even if you are successful in your application for switching programmes, you are not guaranteed to keep your scholarship. An assessment will be made whether you can retain the scholarship. Naturally, if you cannot retain the scholarship, we will notify you so that you may decide whether you still wish to go through with the transfer.

  4. Am I required to pay fees?
    Application and tuition fees are applicable only to students who are not citizens of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland. If you hold a certain kind of residence permit, you may also not be required to pay fees. Please read more here:
    Fees & Scholarships - at chalmers.se
    Fees & costs - at Study in Sweden

  5. How much is the tuition fee?
    The tuition fees is dependent on the master's programme. Most programmes cost SEK 80 000/semester. The Architecture programmes cost SEK 105 000/semester and all Master's programmes consists of a total of 4 semesters (2 years). All details can be found at tuition fees at Chalmers.

  6. MasterCard and Visa credit cards are rarely used in my country. Is it possible to pay online with other credit cards?
    We would advise you to apply for a MasterCard/Visa credit card in advance. It will make your life much easier when you pay the application fee, tuition fees and other costs in Sweden later on.

  7. How much can I expect to spend in terms of living costs?
    The amount of money you spend as living costs is extremely dependent on the lifestyle you live. Rent for an apartment can cost somewhere between 3000 to 5000 SEK per month depending on location, size and other similar factors. The Swedish government recommends around 80000 SEK per year to cover the cost of living which is also a pre-requisite for application for a residence permit.
    Cost of Living
    Requirements and application for residence permit (the Swedish Migration Agency)




  1. Does Chalmers guarantee accommodation for incoming students?
    Chalmers guarantees accommodation only for international students who pay tuition fees. If you have been awarded a scholarship, either from Chalmers or from the Swedish Institute, you still count as a fee-paying student, as do students within some study agreements.
    Read more about accommodation and the different student categories here

  2. I need to find accommodation myself, where can I start looking?
    If you are a student from within the EU/EEA region you are not guaranteed any accommodation by the university. You will have to find accommodation on your own. Accommodation in Gothenburg is not in the form of dormitories, rather it is in the form of student apartments. Chalmers University of Technology does not own any apartments, but Chalmers collaborates with different housing companies to make this possible; SGS Studentbostäder and Chalmers Studentbostäder. There are different kinds of student apartments varying in size, location, facilities and amenities, number of rooms, rent and so on. All such details are explained on the contract for each room and can be found out by
    visiting the respective websites

    Be aware of scams for accommodation! There are many fake advertisers on several of the websites that you may find by using Google. Scammers generally use premises such as not being in the country and having an attorney send you the keys after you have deposited money in a bank account. Please do not transfer any money to any account before you actually receive a contract and you have ensured its veracity.


Residence Permit


  1. Do I need a residence permit to study in Sweden?
    Citizens of EU/EEA countries do not need a residence permit to study in Sweden. Citizens of countries outside of the EU/EEA region need a residence permit to study in Sweden, when the time period exceeds more than three months.
    Residence permit for studies and work

  2. When should I apply for a residence permit?
    Apply for a residence permit as soon as you have been admitted, the notification of selection from your account at universityadmissions.se​ is necessary. The expected time for the Swedish Migration agency to process the permit is six to eight weeks. Chalmers has no way of facilitating or expedite the process. Find out how to apply and what to submit at the website of the  Swedish Migration Agency


Swedish Language


  1. Can I manage to get by in Sweden without learning Swedish?
    Yes. Almost everybody in Sweden speaks fluent English. This is true for almost all shop assistants, your fellow students of course, at the public transport or if you need to visit a physician.

  2. So you mean I do not to need to learn Swedish at all?
    You don’t need to, but learning some Swedish will definitely help you understand the culture better and it will increase your chances to get a job in Sweden, if that is what you want.

  3. How can I learn Swedish before I come to Sweden?
    There are different ways to learn Swedish outside Sweden. Take a look at the Study in Sweden web page.
    Study in Sweden – Learning Swedish

  4. Once I arrive in Sweden, at Chalmers, what Swedish courses are offered?
    For students who are required to pay tuition fees, a Swedish language course​ is included in the tuition fee. 


After Arrival


  1. How can I get a personal identity number?
    Individuals who plan to stay for one year or more must apply with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) to be entered into the Swedish Population Register (Folkbokföring). A successful application results in a personal identity number being generated for that individual and the number is sent to the Swedish postal address of that individual. More information on how to get a personal identity number, document requirements and so on can be found on the website of the Swedish Tax Agency. To be able to get a part time job, you will need to have a personal identity number.

  2. How do I start a bank account?
    Normally you need a Swedish personal identity number if you want to open a bank account in Sweden. If you do not have a personal identity number or cannot get one you can go to the SEB bank. Chalmers has an agreement with SEB, enabling you to open a bank account without having a personal identity number.
    Student Portal – Open a bank account without Swedish personal identity number in SEB

  3. How does the public transportation work in Gothenburg?
    Gothenburg is very well connected by public transport. If you want to transport between the airport and the city center, you are advised to use the Airport Coaches (Flygbussarna). Public transport in Gothenburg and a few surrounding regions is managed by Västtrafik. On their websites you can find information on prices, discounts, offers and so on.

  4. How does it work with health care?
    Students who have a personal identity number or an European health care card are entitled to the same health care benefits as Swedish citizens. In case of a medical requirement, all you need to do is to take yourself to or call the nearest clinic (Vårdcentral) and the personnel there will be able to instruct you further. Here is more information about the Swedish Health Care system.
    European students are encouraged to ensure to carry their European Health Card with them when they come to Sweden.
    Health care: Equal access — key to keeping Sweden healthy
    The European Health Insurance Card
    Health care in Sweden for foreign students

  5. How can I spend my free time?
    Chalmers International Reception Committee (CIRC) and the Chalmers Student Union often have a lot of events that you can attend. You can follow them on Facebook and get updated. You can also explore the city with Göteborg & Co.
    Göteborg & Co

Page manager Published: Wed 31 Aug 2022.