Residence permit for studies and work

When you are admitted and have accepted your offer, you can start your application for a residence permit for studies.

Residence permit for studies

If you come from a country outside the EU/EEA and you are planning to study for longer than three months, you require a residence permit. As an EU/EEA citizen you have the right of residence in Sweden and may study without a residence permit. The application has to be made directly at the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket).

In order to receive your residence permit in time for your travel to Sweden before the semester starts, it is important that you submit the residence permit application as soon as possible after you have been admitted and paid the first instalment of the tuition fee.

To be granted a residence permit you must intend to study and:
  • be admitted to full-time studies
  • have comprehensive health insurance that covers the whole period you are in Sweden if you plan to study for less than one year
  • be able to support yourself for the planned study period (The Swedish Migration Agency requires SEK 7974/month)
  • have a valid passport.

When you apply, please make sure that the validity of your residence permit starts in time for welcome week.

How to apply for a residence permit (the Swedish Migration Agency)
Do I need a visa or a residence permit? (


Residence permit for work, during and after studies

Admitted students with a residence permit for studies are allowed to work according to Swedish law, but a prerequisite for this residence permit is full-time studies on a programme or course.
Chalmers’ Master's programmes require you to study full-time, day-time (the rate of study is 100%). This can be difficult to combine with work, as students are required to be present at the university to participate in lectures, labs, project assignments and examinations. Many courses in the master's programmes are mandatory and the schedules are fixed. Certain courses are only offered once a year.

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and would like to stay in Sweden and work after your studies, you can apply to extend your residence permit for up to six months to look for a job or examine the possibilities of starting your own business. You must apply for this residence permit while you are still in Sweden.

Residence permit to seek employment or starting your own business in Sweden (the Swedish Migration Agency)
Rules for working in Sweden during and after studies (

Related links

‘Migrationsverket’ & the Residence Permit  A blog post by Brett Seward, one of our Student Ambassadors. He walks you through the steps outlined at the Swedish Migration Agency website. (published May 2013)
Obtaining visa for Sweden Student Ambassador Waleed writes about his own experience (published April 2014)
Migrating to Sweden, but not like birds! Some useful advice from student ambassador Raghav on the visa application procedure. (published May 2014)
Swedish embassies & consulates over the world

Published: Thu 14 Oct 2010. Modified: Wed 06 Dec 2017