Chalmers represents excellence in research and education. We also create meeting places and oppportunities for collaboration between academia, society and business. Together we strive for sustainable development, both locally and globally.
We also want to assist decision makers with reliable and easy-to-understand data to facilitate the transition to a sustainable society. We see commercial partners, the political system at various levels and an interested public as key recipients for our efforts.
Socially relevant research at Space, Earth and Environment
Our research is of great relevance to society:
- Observations of the earth and its atmosphere, as well as astronomy, are of great interest, as it places our civilization in a broader context.
- Fusion research, as well as research in energy systems and technologies, aims to secure the world's energy needs for the foreseeable future.
- We analyze and design models about different resource flows in society, to help the growing population of the world to gain access to these resources.
- We study complex phenomena in the development of nature and society to find patterns and anticipate and facilitate changes.
- Earth observation, from earthquake to atmospheric and air pollution, provides government, such as SMHI (Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute) and Lantmäteriet (Land Survey), and international organizations with data.
Many research projects are also conducted with active participation from companies both at local, national and international level.
Schools and all kinds of groups of interested are welcomed to our institution, and to Onsala Space Observatory, for views and discussions.