The Division of Bionanophotonics is engaged in fundamental and applied nanophotonics and biophotonics studies at the international research frontier. The Division hosts two principal investigators / group leaders, Professor Mikael Käll (head of division) and Docent Timur Shegai. Many of the current projects deals with plasmons in metal nanostructures and their interactions with molecules and other nanoobjects. The group is truly international (currently 10 nationalities represented) and consists of MSc and PhD students, post docs and senior scientists. We do experiments, theory and computer simulations and we are heavy users of Chalmers Nanofabrication Laboratory and Chalmers Materials Analysis Laboratory. We also have a number in house experimental facilities, mainly various optical microscopy and spectroscopy setups. We are always intrested in talanted and enthusiastic MSc, PhD or post doc candidates - just give us a call or e-mail Mikael and/or Timur! Bionanophotonics group, picture taken in spring 2017.
From left to right: Battulga Munkhbat, Lei Shao, Hana Sipova, Benjamin Rousseaux, Pawel Karpinski, Michael Stührenberg, Steven Jones, Ankit Bisht, Srdjan Acimovic, Denis Baranov, Jorge Cuadra, Martin Wersäll, Daniel Andrén, Nils Odebo Länk, Timur Shegai, Mikael Käll
Missing from photo: Ruggero Verre, Peter Johansson, Tomasz Antosiewicz.
- 20170807: PhD student Steven Jones presented his talk "Thermal Effects in Plasmonic Optical Tweezers and their Implications for Nano-Biomolecule Manipulation" at the SPIE conference in San Diego, California, USA.
- 20170807: Post doc Hana Sipova presented her talk "Probing of Biomolecular Films with Colloidal Nanomotors" at the SPIE conference in San Diego, California, USA.
- 20170526: PhD student Daniel Andrén presented his talk "Nanoscale Photothermal Effects on Optically Trapped Rotating Gold Nanorods" at the SPP8 conference in Taipei, Taiwan.
- 20170525: Post doc Denis Baranov presented his poster "Ideal Light Capturing by a Hermitian System" at the SPP8 conference in Taipei, Taiwan.
- 20170524: Staff scientist Ruggero Verre presented his poster "Self-referenced Methods for Refractometric Plasmonic Sensing" at the SPP8 conference in Taipei, Taiwan.
- 20170522: Post doc Denis Baranov presented his poster "Free Carriers Photoexcitation as a Platform for Ultrafast Tunable Dielectric Nanoantennas" at the SPP8 conference in Taipei, Taiwan.
- 20170522: Staff scientist Ruggero Verre presented his talk "Cathodoluminescence Nanoscopy of Plasmonic Nanostructures" at the SPP8 conference in Taipei, Taiwan.
- 20170520: Post doc Hana Sipova presented her talk "Probing of Biomolecular Films and their Temperature Induced Transitions with Rotating Gold Nanorods" at the Molecular Plasmonics meeting in Jena, Germany.
- 20170516: PhD student Nils Odebo Länk presented his poster "Total Internal Absorption in Silicon Metasurfaces" at the DINAMO 2017 conference in Siglufjördur, Iceland.
- 20170516: Professor Mikael Käll presented his talk "Probing and Manipulating Resonant Nanostructures with Chiral Light" at the DINAMO 2017 conference in Siglufjördur, Iceland.
- 20170406: The Shegai Group had a 2 day workshop on Strong Coupling in Rörbäck, Bokenäs, Sweden. See some pictures from the event here: Pic1, Pic2, Pic3
- 20170403: New Post doc position: "Pase-Gradient Metasurfaces" is announced and possible for application. Deadline for application is 20170515.
- 20170330: We say goodbye to Dr. Srdjan Acimovic, who will leave us after a successful post doc. Thanks for all and good luck Srdjan!
- 20170324: Kristofer Bodvard's last thesis paper published in Nature Communications! Kristofer defended his PhD thesis in in the BNP Division a long time ago, in 2012 to be specific. It contained one manuscript that is now eventually published, after a lot of additional hard work by his co-supervisor Mikael Molin and co-workers. The title of the paper is "Light-sensing via hydrogen peroxide and a peroxiredoxin" and it can be downloaded here. An interview (in Swedish) with Mikael Molin, who is a researcher at the Department of Chemistry and Molecular Biology at Göteborg University, can be found here.
- 20170323: We say goodbye to Dr. Lei Shao, who leave us after three successful post doc years to take up a researcher position in Hong Kong. Thanks for all and Good Luck Lei!
- 20170323: Great news - Mikael will get extended support as a "Wallenberg Scholar" from the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation! The funding supports Mikael's research with 3 MSkr per year for a total of no less than ten years (starting 2012)!
- 20170223: We are excited to announce that our proposal "Quantum Plasmonics - a technology for quantum photon-photon interactions at room-temperature" will be funded by the Swedish Research Agency with 23,7 MSkr over five years. The project is a collaboration with Professor Göran Johanssons group at Chalmers MC2 department. An interview (in Swedish) with Göran, who is coordinating the program, can be found here.
- 20170209: We warmly welcome our new Post-doc Battulga Munkhbat to the Bionanophotonics group.
- 20170206: We warmly welcome our new PhD student Michael Stührenberg to the Bionanophotonics group.
- 20170125: The Shegai Group went out to celebrate recent accepted publications as well as welcoming our new post doc Ankit. View image here.
- 20170110: We warmly welcome our new post-doctoral researcher Ankit Bisht to the Bionanophotonics group.
- 20161221: PhD student Nils Odebo Länk presented his Licentiate Thesis "Nanostructured Electromagnetic Metasurfaces at Optical Frequencies" at 13:15 in PJ Lecture Hall, Chalmers, Göteborg. Acting opponent was Giovanni Volpe from Gothenburg University.
- 20161214: The BNP Group went for Christmas bufet at Liseberg. View images from the event here: Pic1, Pic2.
- 20161209: Professor Mikael Käll gave a talk at the Melbourne Photonics Symposium: Biophotonics in Focus workshop in Melbourne, Australia.
- 20161207: Post doctoral researcher Srjdan Acimovic presented his talk "Opto-Fluidics Platform for Sensing with Single Nanoparticles and Beyond" at the SUPRA conference in Göteborg, Sweden.
- 20161204: Professor Mikael Käll gave a talk at the Joint 13th Asia Pacific Physics Conference and 22nd Australian Institute of Physics Congress (APPC-AIP 2016) in Brisbane, Australia.
- 20161121: Professor Mikael Käll was interviewed by Chalmers Inside Paper discussing his views and aims of his research. Read the full interview here.
- 20161103: Professor Mikael Käll gave a talk at the Metallic Nano Objects (MNO) 2016 conference in Lyon, France.
- 20161102: Professor Mikael Käll gave a talk at the Optics & Photonics in Sweden (OPS) 2016 conference in Linköping, Sweden.
- 20161019: Assistant Professor Timur Shegai presented his invited talk on "Strong Plasmon-Exciton Coupling on Single Nanoparticle Level" at the SCOM 16 conference in San Sebastian, Spain.
- 20161020: PhD student Martin Wersäll presented his poster "Strong Light-Matter Interaction And Photoluminescence Rabi Splitting" at the SCOM 16 conference in San Sebastian, Spain.
- 20161007: PhD students Steven Jones and Daniel Andrén attended the Nanoscale Thermal Transport II conference at Chalmers in Göteborg, Sweden.
- 20161009: Post doctoral researcher Hana Sipova presented her poster "Gold Nanorod Rotary Motors for Ultrasensitive DNA Detection" at the MicroTAS 2016 conference in Dublin, Ireland.
- 20160908: Staff scientist Ruggero Verre presented his talk "Cathodoluminescence Nanoscopy of Plasmonic Nanostructures" at the NFO-14 conference in Hamamatsu, Japan.
- 20160906: Part of the Bionanophotonics group attended the kick-off event at Nidingen. Some photos can be found here: Pic1, Pic2
- 20160901: PhD student Daniel Andrén presented his talk "Real-Time Spectroscopic of Photothermal Effects on Optically Trapped Rotating Nanorods" at the SPIE Optics + Photonics 2016 conference in San Diego, USA.