Ten years of collaboration on biomedical engineering
MedTech West started as a platform for medical technology in Western Sweden in 2009. Ten years later, the partners can look back on many successful collaborations in research, healthcare and industry. The aim now is for future development opportunities.
“We experience a much greater focus on collaboration between healthcare and engineering in the region today, which is what we have been striving for”, says Mikael Persson, Professor of Biomedical Engineering at Chalmers University of Technology and one of the initiators of MedTech West. “We will now continue that work. We hope that over the next ten years, MedTech West will continue to be a significant resource and a tool for meeting some of the region’s healthcare needs and ultimately contribute to the greatest benefit for the patients.”
MedTech West celebrated its 10th anniversary on 24 October with an open house event at Sahlgrenska University Hospital. About fifteen biomedical engineering researchers from Chalmers and University of Gothenburg presented their research and their innovations together with Western Swedish biomedical engineering companies.
The biomedical company Medfield Diagnostics was demonstrating their portable instrument Strokefinder MD100. The device is used for decision-support to assist in clinical evaluation and triage of suspected intracranial injuries in the acute situation. It is currently used in a clinical study.
Among the invited biomedical companies was Detecht, whose representatives were demonstrating their crash detection app used by motorcyclists. Nearby, Integrum was showcasing Neuromotus, a new innovative technology used for therapy to reduce phantom limb pain after an amputation.
Facts about MedTech West
- Founded in 2009 by Chalmers University of Technology, Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg, University of Borås, Sahlgrenska University Hospital and Region Västra Götaland
- Works to improve conditions for research, development and innovations in the area of medical technology through increased collaboration between academia, healthcare and industry
- Is a platform where new, innovative ideas can be collected and developed further
- Has contributed to the establishment of a well-functioning collaborative group together with Sahlgrenska Science Park, Gothia Forum, the Innovation Platform at Region Västra Götaland, Business Region Gothenburg and AZ BioVentureHub
- Works to ensure access to medical technology expertise for the future
Examples of Chalmers research within the framework of MedTech West
For more information contactMikael Persson
, Professor of Biomedical Engineering at the department of Electrical Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, and one of the initiators of MedTech West