The division pursues research and education within a broad field of information security technology. Our research includes but is not limited to:
- Language-based security. Development of security models and software construction methods for secure systems based on programming language technology.
- Foundations of security and privacy. Rigorous reasoning and formal methods for security and privacy.
- Application security. Specifying, enforcing, verifying, and testing security and privacy policies at the application level.
- System security. Tools and software libraries for building secure systems from untrusted or insecure components.
- Privacy. Protocols and mechanisms for location privacy; privacy-enhancing protocols and privacy by design; differential privacy.