The Division of Bionanophotonics is engaged in fundamental and applied nanophotonics and biophotonics studies at the international research frontier. The Division hosts four principal investigators / group leaders, Mikael Käll (head of division), Alexander Dmitriev, Andreas Dahlin and Timur Shegai. Many of the current projects deals with plasmons in metal nanostructures and their interactions with molecules and other nanoobjects. The group is truly international (currently 10 nationalities represented) and consists of MSc and PhD students, post docs and senior scientists. We do experiments, theory and computer simulations and we are heavy users of Chalmers Nanofabrication Laboratory, Chalmers Materials Analysis Laboratory and Chalmers Center for Computational Science and Engineering. We also have a number in house experimental facilities, mainly various optical microscopy and spectroscopy set ups. Bionanophotonics group, picture taken in spring 2015.
Top row, from left to right: Gustav Emilsson, Daniel Andrén, Kunli Xiong, Andreas Dahlin, Yurui Fang, Mikael Svedendahl, Aron Hakonen, Martin Wersäll, Kristof Lodewijks
Front row, from left to right: Zhong-Jian Yang, Viktor Ahlberg Gagnér, Gülis Zengin, Yang Jiao, Timur Shegai, Irina Zubritskaya, Ines Massiot, Gergö Fülöp, Mikael Käll.
Group members missing from photo: Alexandre Dmitriev, Tomasz Antosiewicz, Peter Johansson, Srdjan Acimovic, Addis Mekonen Adamu, Lei Shao, Ruggero Verre, Gustav Edman Jönsson, Nils Odebo Länk, Robin Ogier, Oskar Paulander.
- 20150703: Post doctoral researcher Lei Shao presented his talk "Ultrafast Spin and Orbital Motion of Colloidal Gold Nanocrystals in an Optical Trap" at the ICMAT conference in Singapore.
- 20150719: PhD student Kunli Xiong presented his poster "Polymer Gates in Nanochannels" at the Nano-Mechanical Interfaces conference in Hong Kong, China.
- 20150720: PhD student Gustav Emilsson presented his talk "Polymer Functionalization of Gold Surfaces for Use in Biointerface Science" at the 10th European Biophysics Congress in Dresden, Germany.
- 20150610: Master's student Gergö Fülöp defended his Master's Thesis Work "Cost-Efficient Production of Patterned Plasmonic Substrates for Parallel, Real-Time Biosensing Applications" at 10.00 in the PJ Lecture Hall. Project supervisor is Dr. Srdjan S. Acimovic, and examiner Professor Mikael Käll.
- 20150604: PhD student Martin Wersäll presented his talk "Directional Nanoplasmonic Antennas for Self-Referenced Refractometric Molecular Analysis" at the SPP7 conference in Jerusalem, Israel.
- 20150604: Assistant Professor Timur Shegai presented his talk "Strong Coupling between Individual Plasmonic Nanoparticles and Molecular Excitons" at the SPP7 conference in Jerusalem, Israel.
- 20150601: Professor Mikael Käll presented his talk "Plasmonic Particle Layers and Metasurfaces for Molecular Sensing and Spectroscopy" at the SPP7 conference in Jerusalem, Israel.
- 20150415: Assistant Professor Tomasz Antosiewicz presented his talk "Optical Activity of Catalytic Elements of Hetero-Metallic Nanostructures" on SPIE Optics + Optoelectronics conference in Prague, Czech Republic.
- 20150409: Professor Mikael Käll presented his talk "Plasmon-Enhanced Internal Photoemission in Antenna/Spacer/Mirror Based Au/TiO2 Nanostructures" at the Discussion on Nano & Mesoscopic Optics Conference in El Chaltén, Patagonia, Argentina.
- 20150311: Post doctoral researcher Kristof Lodewijks presented his talk "Magnetoplasmonic Design Rules for Active Magneto-Optics" on the ImagineNano 2015 conference in Bilbao, Spain.
- 20150310: Assistant Professor Timur Shegai presented his talk "Strong Coupling between Individual Plasmonic Nanoparticles and Molecular Excitons" on the Quantum Plasmonics conference in Benasque, Spain.
- 20150304: Post doctoral researcher Yang Jiao presented her talk "Schottky Barrier Formation and Reduction at Au/TiO2 Interfaces by Dopants from Quantum Simulations" on the APS March Meeting 2015 conference in San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- 20150108: We warmly welcome our new
Teaching Assistant Daniel Andrén and Master's Student Viktor Ahlberg
Gagnér to the Bionanophotonics group.
- 20150107: Assistant Professor Timur Shegai presented his poster "Strong Coupling between Individual Plasmonic Nanoparticles and Molecular Excitons" on the NanoMeta 2015 conference in Seefeld, Austria.
- 20150107: PhD Student Martin Wersäll presented his poster "Directional Nanoplasmonic Antennas for Self-Referenced Refractometric Molecular Analysis" on the NanoMeta 2015 conference in Seefeld, Austria.
- 20150106: Professor Mikael Käll presented his talk "2D Plasmonic Metamaterials and Particle Layers of Sensing and Spectroscopy" on the NanoMeta 2015 conference in Seefeld, Austria.
- 20141212: PhD Student Gülis Zengin defended her doctoral thesis "Resonant Interactions Between Nanoparticle Plasmons and Molecular Excitons" in PJ Lecture Hall at Chalmers. Acting Faculty Opponent were Professor Bill Barnes from University of Exeter, Great Britain.
- 20141204: Post doctoral researcher Ruggero Verre presented his talk "Advanced
Plasmonic Functionalities Stems from Fabrication: Directional
Scattering, Magnetic-Dark Modes, Quasicrystalline Isotropic In-Coupling" on the RMS Fall Meeting in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- 20141201: Doctor Mikael Svedendahl presented his talk "Sparse and Disordered Nanoplasmonic Metamaterial Layers: From Fano follows Enhanced Absorption, Sensitivity and Optical Activity" on the Material Research Society (MRS) Fall Meeting conference in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- 20141125: Our talented co-worker Mikael Svedendahl was the focus of The Swedish Physicist Community (SFS) journal "Fysikaktuellt"
2014-4. The article is written in swedish and contains several
interesting aspects of Mikaels research, plus an exclusive interview.
All copyright reserved to SFS.
- 20141111: Assistant Professor Timur Shegai presented his talk "Strong Light-Matter Interaction with Plasmonic Nanoparticles" on the Photonics Sweden 2014 conference in Göteborg, Sweden.
- 20141101: We warmly welcome our new Master's Student Oskar Paulander to the Bionanophotonics group.
- 20140911: Assistant Professor Tomasz Antosiewicz presented his talk "On the Optical Properties of Plasmonic Glasses" on the 19th Polish-Slovak-Czech Optical Conference in Wojanów, Poland.
- 20140905: Post doctoral researcher Ruggero Verre presented his poster "Isotropic Light Splitting Using Plasmonic Quasicrystals" on the NFO13 conference in Snowbird, Utah, USA.
- 20140903: Doctor Mikael Svedendahl presented his talk "Sparse and Disordered Nanoplasmonic Metamaterial Layers for Molecular Recognition Applications" on the NFO13 conference in Snowbird, Utah, USA.
- 20140903: Professor Mikael Käll presented his talk "Spinning Gold Particles in Water through Photon Angular Momentum Transfer" on the NFO13 conference in Snowbird, Utah, USA.
- 20140801: We are welcoming our new PhD Student Nils Odebo Länk to the Bionanophotonics group.