Director of the Chalmers Area of Advance Life Science Engineering
Department of Biology and Biological Engineering
Division of Condensed Matter Theory
Phone: +46 70 982 84 46
Office: Physics Building, office 3056A
We are an experimental microbiology lab, working with bacteria. In terms of basic science, we focus signaling in bacterial physiology. In terms of applied science, we work with engineering approaches to enhance bacterial cell factories and to eradicate bacterial pathogens. Our current focus areas are:
i) Bio-applications of graphene
In collaboration with Chalmers physicists, we are developing advanced graphene-based antibacterial coatings and polymer composites, and different types of graphene-based bio-sensors.
ii) Protein phosphorylation in bacteria
We specialize in bacterial protein kinases and use phosphoproteomics approaches to perform global studies of the phosphorylation-based regulatory networks in model and pathogenic bacteria.
iii) Metabolic engineering
We are implementing a wide array of metabolic engineering tools to optimize bacterial cell factories for the production of platform chemicals, industrially relevant enzymes and nanoparticles.
Focus of future research:
In terms of graphene research, our strategic objectives are: i) to strengthen and expand our collaboration network with graphene physicists, chemists and material scientists, ii) to expand our portfolio of graphene-based solutions for prevention and detection of infection, detection of metabolic disorders and cancer, and cost-effective extraction of high-value compounds from microbial cell factories iii) to establishing new strategic partnerships with end users of our graphene-based inventions: hospitals, pharma and biotech companies.
Highlights of previous research:
- Pandit S, Cao Z, Mokkapati VRSS, Celauro E, Yurgens A, Lovmar M, Westerlund F, Sun J, Mijakovic I (2018) Vertically aligned graphene coating is bactericidal and prevents the formation of bacterial biofilms. Adv Mater Interfaces, in press.
- Avaz S, Roy RB, Mokkapati VRSS, Bozkurt A, Pandit S, Mijakovic I, Menceloglu YZ (2017) Graphene based nanosensor for aqueous phase detection of nitroaromatics. RSC Adv 7: 25519-25527.
- Helgadóttir S, Pandit S, Mokkapati VRSS, Westerlund F, Apell P, Mijakovic I (2017) Vitamin C pretreatment enhances the antibacterial effect of cold atmospheric plasma. Front Cell Infect Microbiol 7: 43.
- Mokkapati VRSS, Yuksel D, Imerbc K, Yilmazd N, Mijakovic I, Koyuncu I (2017) Membrane properties and antibacterial activity of polysulfone-graphene oxide composite membranes phase inversed in graphene oxide anti-solvent. RSC Adv 7: 4378-4386.
- Zhao C, Pandit S, Fu Y, Mijakovic I, Jesorka A, Liu J (2016) Graphene oxide based coatings on nitinol for biomedical implant applications: effectively promote mammalian cell growth but kill bacteria. RSC Adv 6: 38124.