Through a parternship between Chalmers and Ansys, GHz Centre can take advantage of the powerful simulation tool HFSS in the research projects.
The ANSYS HFSS software with its broad range of functionality makes it ideal for solving complex 3-dimensional EM problems evolving high frequency circuit designs e.g. waveguide integrated mixers and frequency multipliers in the THz frequency range. The software’s ability of providing reliable and accurate simulation results reduces the need of costly prototyping iterations and brings the experimental results faster to a state-of-the-art level.
GHz Centre has been using the HFSS in the project ITHZS.
Our research activity involved extensive use of ANSYS HFSS software for the study and development of novel THz GaAs Schottky diode MMIC’s used in remote sensing applications e.g. for earth observation and radio astronomy. The main results of this work are: the development of a state-of-the-art 183 GHz subharmonic Schottky diode based receiver prototype , the development of a planarly integrated high sensitivity 424 GHz dual polarisation receiver prototype , the study of novel harmonic and fundamental mixers operating at 3.5/4.7 THz [3-5], and the study of integrated frequency multiplier GaAs Schottky diode MMIC for high order multiplication factors.
|Fig. 1. 3D-EM model of a 183 GHz subharmonic GaAs Schottky diode mixer.
||Fig. 2. 3D-EM modeling of a 4.7 THz GaAs Schottky diode.|
Chalmers University of Technology is most grateful to ANSYS and EDRMedeso for this academic partnership, giving GHz Centre the opportunity to use HFSS in its research and education.
1. Anderberg et. al. ”A 183-GHz Schottky diode receiver with 4 dB noise figure”, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest 2019, p. 172-175.
2. Sobis et. al.,”Multichip dual polarisation THz MMIC receivers for future weather and climate research Small/Cube-sat missions”, the 8th ESA Workshop on Millimetre-Wave Technology and Applications,10-12 December 2018, ESA/ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
3. Jayasankar, Master of science thesis ”Design and modeling of terahertz Schottky diode harmonic mixers", Chalmers University of Technology 2019.
4. Jayasankar et. al. ” Effect of idler terminations on the conversion loss for THz Schottky diode harmonic mixers”, 44th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves Paris, France 2019.
5. Jayasankar et. al. ”4.7 THz GaAs Schottky Diode Receiver Components”, in the 30th IEEE International Symposium on Space THz Technology (ISSTT2019), Göteborg, Sweden.