Production is important. A strong manufacturing sector is critical to retaining jobs and remaining competitive in a global marketplace. In Europe, 37,5 million jobs are located in this industry, which is 30% of the total workforce. The annual turnover is seven billion Euros and a reduction of just 10% caused by lack of competitiveness would have huge negative effects on the European standard of living. Swedish manufacturing industry is responsible for approximately 50% of our export of goods, directly employing more than half a million people. Therefore, successful research, innovation, and education in the area of production will have a big leveraging effect on the Swedish society.
Our ideas are put to use
Innovation is an important driving force for Chalmers Production. We have a strong track-record of having produced numerous spin-off companies and commercial software that are used daily by thousands of industrial clients around the world. Our strong believe is that research results and new knowledge shall come to use. We want to leave a permanent impression in society.
Our way of working is a circulating innovation process. Ideas are based on industrial and scientific needs. Concepts are rapidly tested by industry and feedback stimulates creative innovations.
National Innovation Labs
Chalmers Production wants to enhance the speed between research idea and realization. To make that possible there are now four integrated national innovation laboratories: one for virtual development, one for production systems, one for manufacturing processes and one with focus on smart and digitalized industry. The labs are a neutral arena where academia and industry can meet in a creative atmosphere. We believe that this environment makes research results reach industry faster - which is a huge benefit for society.
The National Innovation Labs are open to all research actors within the production area as well as our industrial partners. Welcome to participate - just contact our research team!
- Research project groups are able to meet and discuss multi-disciplinary topics.
- Scientific seminars and exhibitions are easily arranged.
- Industry is invited to collaborate in research projects but also to use the wide range of tools to inspire their own research and development activities.
- Modern high-tech educational lectures will benefit our students.
- An attractive laboratory environment increases international research collaboration.
- The labs create a unique environment where it will be possible to try out an idea in a virtual scenario and then test it in a real production environment. Verification of ideas is easier and it is also easier to get a comprehensive view of all aspects of the idea.
Read more about our laboratories.