As part of our operations, the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Area of Advance funds internal Chalmers research projects and operational support. Here are the types of funding that Chalmers researchers and teachers can apply for.
ICT AoA funds two types of seed grants every year.
1. Call for Big Data projects in need of support from the data science research engineers.
2. Call for seed project proposals that address strategic areas of ICT with interdisciplinary approach.
The calls are announced through the newsletter and here on the AoA ICT webpage. Additionally, the AoA ICT offers three open calls for continuous applications during the year:
Conference organisation support
The ICT AoA provides support for the organisation of conferences or workshops in Gothenburg.
To apply for conference support:
1. Write a brief request, including a short description of the conference (one paragraph),
2. Date, place, and expected number of participants.
Depending on the number of participants, applicants may receive between 10 to 20 kSEK. Applicants need to specify a Chalmers project number, so that the money can be transferred to the project.
If your application is accepted, we request that you include the ICT AoA logo on your conference website. Contact Carina Schultz
, Communications Officer for logo.
The ICT Area of Advance provides support for visiting researchers in an ICT area related to one of our profile areas (“connected world”, “automated society”, “big data”, and “digital sustainability”).
The visiting researcher should preferably be hosted by two or several research groups from different divisions/departments. The duration of their stay should be at least one-month.
The guest should hold at least one seminar/workshop or a similar event open to researchers/students at Chalmers.
The visiting researcher grant is between 50 KSEK and 100 KSEK. It should be used to cover travel and accommodation costs as well as living costs and an honorarium (in accordance with tax rules). Additional costs for the organisation of a seminar or workshop related to the visit can also be covered.
To apply for the visiting researcher grant, provide the following information:
1. Name, e-mail, affiliation, of main applicant
2. Name, e-mail, and affiliations of co-applicants
3. Name, e-mail. url, affiliation, and short CV of guest (max 200 words)
4. Planned period for the visit
5. The purpose of the visit. (1-2 pages) Expected results in relation to the ICT profile areas and impact of the cooperation between visiting and hosting departments/divisions. Other expected results of the visit. Possible further cooperation.
6. Budget: travel costs, accommodation, living costs, additional costs
Please note that ICT AoA will not provide support for booking of travel and lodging or finding office spaces at Chalmers.
1. Relevance to ICT AoA profile areas
2. Impact of the visit on the cooperation between host and guest institution, and between different research groups at Chalmers
3. The scientific excellence of the visiting researcher
4. Plans for further cooperation
Development of PhD courses
The ICT Area of Advance provides support for the development of PhD courses.
Courses should be related to one of our profile areas (“connected world”, “automated society”, “big data”, and “digital sustainability”) and they should preferably be developed jointly by researchers belonging to two or several research groups from different divisions/departments.
The ICT AoA will support the development of a course with between 50 KSEK and 100 KSEK.
You can apply for the ICT AoA course development support by providing the following information:
1. Name, e-mail, and affiliation of main applicant
2. Name, e-mail, and affiliation of co-applicants
3. Course title, level, number of credits
4. Short description of the course (aim, content, learning outcomes, intended audience)
5. Period in which the course will be developed and period in which the course will be offered.
We also encourage submission of innovative ideas that could promote our operations. The ICT AoA management will gladly discuss these ideas with you, and consider possible funding opportunities. You are welcome to contact Erik Ström.