The research of Transport Areapf Advance has a stron focus on sustainability. Well-functioning transports are crucial to reaching several of the goals for sustainable development set bu the UN, while transports can also affect a number of them negatively.
The challenges we face in the field of transport are, for example, environmental impact, traffic accidents, efficient transport, urbanization, land use and the question of limited resources.
Here we have collected some examples of how our research relates to the sustainable development goals:
SDG 7 - Affordable and clean energy
- Platooning to save fuel and reduce carbon dioxide emissions through the reduction of the wake area between the participating vehicles.
SDG 9 - Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- Redefining urban development strategies for effective and efficient future mobility solutions.
- Investigating the role of new technology for making goods transport more efficient.
SDG 11 - Sustainable cities and communities
- Design of integrated security and communications systems for connected vehicles, enabling more efficient communications networks and the possibility for vehicles to be used as moving multi-sensor systems to collect information for smart cities functionalities.
- Development of a high performance electric drive for marine applications, leading to the reduction of harmful air pollution and improved harbour and marine environments.
- Virtual multimodal infrastructure for smart cities, providing more reliable and responsive transportation services, and thus improving the lives of urban dwellers.
- Development of an electrical ferry, contributing to reduced pollution in cities.
- A common framework of concepts and methods to investigate how sustainable modes of individual, non-motorized and collective motorized mobility have come into conflict with modern car-dominated urban city planning and traffic engineering.
- Enabling cities/municipalities to evaluate the different scenarios of a mixed vehicular traffic and their impact on traffic safety and efficiency.
- Researching the transition to sustainable business practices for retailing and transport as well as to sustainable consumer behaviour.
SDG 13 - Climate action
- Improved effective capacity and increased lifetime of lithium ion batteries to reduce the cost and improve the performance of electric vehicles.
- Development of an autonomous operation platform for the planning of a ship's sailing course and schedule in the safest and most environment-friendly way.
- Identification of the potential for increased energy efficiency related to dry ports.
SDG 14 - Life below water
- Study on societal and scientific need for a testbed related to hydrographic surveying.