+46 31 772 25 50
PhD Analytical Chemistry, Stockholm University, 1984
Brigham Young University, Utah, USA, 1984 – 1989
Uppsala University, 1989 – 2004
Vinnova (Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems), 2004–2006
Chalmers University of Technology, 2006 –
Karin Markides is President and CEO of Chalmers University of Technology since August 2006.
Karin Markides, professor of analytical chemistry, previously taught and conducted research at Stockholm University, Brigham Young University and Uppsala University. As part of her broad international experience, she held a guest professorship at Stanford University in the US. She tutored more than 30 PhD students and published over 250 scientific articles. As of 1999 and 1992 respectively, she is a member of The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences and member of The Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences.
Between, April 2004 and August 2006, Karin Markides held the position of Deputy Director General at Vinnova, a state agency that finances research and innovation for sustainable development. She also has been board member of several high tech start-up companies in the US and the Swedish Research Council Committee for Research Infrastructure as well as acted as a board member of the Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research. During 2007 to 2009 Karin Markides was a member of the High Level Group on the Competitiveness of the European Chemical Industry. She was the only representative from the academia.
Since 2009 Karin Markides holds the chair of CESAER – The Conference of European Schools for Advanced Engineering Education and Research – a non-profit-making international association of the leading European Universities of Technology, Engineering Colleges and Schools, cooperating on policy issues.
Present Business Responsibility
Managing Director of Chalmers University of Technology AB, August 2006 –
Ex Officio Member of Foundation Board of Chalmers University of Technology Foundation
Present Board Member
- Perstorp Holding AB, 2010 –
- SP, Technical Research Institute of Sweden, 2006 –
- Johanneberg Science Park Ltd., 2009 –
- Lindholmen Science Park Ltd., 2006 –
- Wallenberg Wood Science Center, 2009–
- Chair of CESAER (The Conference of European Schools for Advanced Engineering Education and Research)
- Member of the RIKEN Advisory Council (The Advanced Science Institute, Japan)
- Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences (IVA)
- Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (KVA)
- Member of the Swedish Globalisation Council, 2007–2009