A Climate framework for higher education institutions, with the aim of engaging universities and university colleges in Sweden to contribute to both national and international commitments to reach the so-called 1.5°C target.
Higher education institutions (HEIs) have a central role in efforts to combat climate change. We have an important task to contribute through our teaching and research, but we also need to contribute by reducing the impact of our own operations.
The HEIs that have signed this framework consider the climate to be a crucial and prioritised issue. We undertake to do the following:
- We will through education, research and external engagement help society as a whole to achieve set targets.
- We will work to reduce our own climate impact in line with society’s commitment as expressed in national and international agreements.
- We will, based on our HEI-specific conditions, set up far-reaching targets for climate-related work and also allocate resources so that we can achieve these targets and conduct follow ups.
- We will clearly communicate our climate-related work in order to inspire and spread knowledge to other organisations and members of society.
The Climate Framework includes this text, and a guideline document that among other things list a number of key areas for climate impact from higher education institutions. Each institution will choose the areas they will focus on depending on their local circumstances. Each institution should however be prepared to work with the following areas: education, research, collaboration, business travels and energy use, since they are considered central for all higher education institutions.
The following higher education institutions are signed up to the framework
- Beckmans College of Design
- Blekinge Institute of Technology
- Chalmers University of Technology
- Dalarna University College
- Ersta Sköndal Bräcke University College
- Gävle University College
- Halmstad University
- Jönköping University
- Karlstad University
- Karolinska Institute
- Konstfack, University of Arts, Crafts and Design
- Kristianstad University
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology
- Linköping University
- Linnaeus University
- Luleå University of Technology
- Lund University
- Malmö University
- Mid Sweden University
- Mälardalen University College
- Newman Institute
- Red Cross University College of Nursing
- Royal College of Music, Stockholm
- Royal Institute of Art
- Sophiahemmet University College
- Stockholm School of Economics
- Stockholm School of Theology
- Stockholm University College of Music Education
- Swedish Defence University
- Swedish School of Sport and Health Sciences, GIH
- Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
- Södertörn University
- Umeå University
- University College West
- University of Borås
- University of Gothenburg
- University of Skövde
- Örebro University